Newbie upgrading from factory 2018 Cascadia Evolution CB antenna and radio

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Fireballofdoom, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Moondawg1964

Moondawg1964 Bobtail Member

Nov 17, 2018
    Alabama
    C
    Watched the video, saw the same plate as you did. Still haven't quite figured out where to wire/connect too. I even popped the cover off the where the interior fuse panel is at. Getting to the battery posts there looks like a booger. Got to do some more thinking...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    What model cascadia? Latest style or the one with tear drop type headlights..
    If you have the the 2nd look below the steering column on the firewall under the hood..On that black plate there might be a predrilled hole with a rubber grommet...Run coax and pwr/gnd out side of cab the pwr to batterys and coax out to ant that way

Moondawg1964 Thanks this.
  4. Moondawg1964

Nov 17, 2018
    Alabama
    It's the latest style. No holes in the plate. I wish there was, but no so luck. I miss the set up when everything was up the cabinet above the dash. Thanks for the info...

5. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Run coax as i mention in my vid..pwr/gnd in opposite direction..very simple to keep it all inside the cab. Once you pull off that dash cover i mention in the vid..You will see the fuse box with two positive n gnd cables..Run those wires across the dash and between dash and cab body..Very easy to see once you pull that cover..

Moondawg1964 Thanks this.
  6. Moondawg1964

Nov 17, 2018
    Alabama
    Any suggestions on what tools to loosen the screws on those cables? It's kinda tight in that area... Or better yet, make another YouTube video going into details like you did with the coax.. (like I said, I'm a newbie to all of this stuff)

7. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Just gotta go look..only tool is a socket for pwr/gnd cable nuts..
    Across the dash..down between dash and cab body..then route as you see fit..That dash cover just pulls off,no bolts or screws..If it takes you more than 20 min to do..kick yerself in the crotch..

8. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    From top of dash run power leads down to opening designed for hand to pull dash panel loose.

From there to pos and neg on either side of fuse box.

10-ga wiring. Both fused within about six inches of ends.

Ring terminal. Heat shrunk cover

Cover leads with flame resistant split loom.

Use ANCOR wiring products. BLUE SEA fuses and holders.

Consider RFI filters. See a recent threads on 12V filters.

The other noise problem is CMC (common mode current ) where the coax itself carries noise.

Then phone chargers, inverters, reefer compressors, etc.

Takes a while to make quiet the radios working environment.

Biggest change would be:

WEST MOUNTAIN RADIO
    Digital Signal Processing
    External Speaker
    $200

This will motivate you to find the rest of the rig performance problems.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  9. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Actually slow..If looking at the dash down on very bottom right there is some sorta hole on the bottom you can run pwr/gnd up through to the bottom of fuse box..It hides the wires a bit better..

I just went and did a power wire upgrade on my 955...Had a chinese 14ga knock off that i used and it barely gave me 13.4-13.6 at 1/4 of variable power on the radio..Used a true 12ga awg (modified the plug a lil)and now i get a solid 14.0 keyed up on full power..Might go to a 10g later but instead of goin from a 14.4v(how my radio was tuned)to 13.6 AT best on low power to a solid 14 on full power makes a big diff...Wouldnt mind that extra point 4 of a volt but again that another story for later..Think that might involve some 10g and anderson connectors..That plug on the radios side is stuffed now and no way 10g would fit..

Slowmover1 Thanks this.
  10. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Cpl pics of my temp set up.. 20181118_104833.jpg

Attached Files:

11. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    20181118_104845.jpg

Attached Files:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.