Newbie wanting to get into the LTL game

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by cbqsd9, Dec 29, 2012.

1. cbqsd9

cbqsd9 Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Viola,Il
    Im wanting to drive for an LTL(right now FedEx Freight is the only one hiring around me)

I have my Class A and all endorsment except HazMat, But im starting the process to get it after the holidays are over.
    Ive been driving for about 6 months for FS as a fertizlier tender.
    I have no tickets and i have a cristal clear work history, I am also a hard worker.
    I love driving semis ,and I really want to pull doubles, probally because my dad pulled doubles for Roadway/YRC for 25 years before the layoff limbo started.

I was just wondering if i'd be canidate for hire with FedEx Freight.
    And should i wait to apply after i get may HazMat or apply and tell them ill be getting it soon.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. socal

socal Medium Load Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Just go for it your father should be your mentor. I work ltl and you cannot wait for them to be hiring. Most won't even hardly advertise they are hiring. Just go apply at every one and be willing to start on the dock or local ltl till you get some senority.

4. Deadjester

Deadjester Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Indiana
    also, if you try for fed ex, i wouldn't mention your dad working at yrc, fed ex are very strong anti union people...at least management is, any hint and it's a no go...had a good friend that couldn't get on there because he'd worked for a sheetmetal union a few years back.

CenutryClass and mje Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Watch for trick or leading questions during an interview; trying to learn your views on unions. One slip of the tongue and the interview is over.

mje Thanks this.
  6. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    If you go to fedex, you will be a glorified dockworker. most of the big players like fedex, conway are cutting alot of linehaul runs and putting the stuff on OTR longboxes. So you'll be real acquainted with a toyota forklift.

7. rockyroad74

rockyroad74 Heavy Load Member

i was thinking the same thing.

Why don't you ask your Dad to help you get a Teamster job? Even with the layoffs and even if you have to do double duty between driving a forklift and a truck; I believe it's going yo pay off better in the long run with the brotherhood. Even if one company goes down you'll still be a Teamster. This gives you friends, brothers, that help open doors for you at other pkaces. You don't get this "family" with a non-union company. They use an "open door" policy instead. Meaning don't let it hit you on the way out if you don't like it here.

8. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    I have done well all by myself. I'm the BOSS. Think about it.

9. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Medium Load Member

Jun 20, 2010
    NC
    As far as Fedex goes, you can only apply for a position if it's posted on their jobs listing, so if you see one,go ahead and apply, chances are you'll have your Hazmat before they even call you anyway..lol (takes awhile)
    And like Centeryclass said, don't expect to drive anytime soon there, there will probably be 20 guys ahead of you with CDLs working the dock, especially if it's a hub, which I assume it is.

10. cbqsd9

cbqsd9 Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Viola,Il
    i woundnt mind being an o/o its just the start up cost is too high for me to have have a truck thats new enough will be at least $30000 plus if stuff breaks its on you. my finances are streacthed too thin as is.

i think im gunna sign on with hirschbach to company drive, they got regional run from monmouth,il to east debuque,ia that i think i will be able to run since i live right on the route ,30 miles from monmouth in viola,il.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  11. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    Last I checked FedEx Freight wants 1 year recent experience. FedEx Ground too. Time sure are getting tough in this country. I remember when trucking companies, big and small, were begging drivers to come work for them!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.