Newbie wanting to go tanker

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by USAF Hog, Aug 21, 2012.

1. USAF Hog

USAF Hog Bobtail Member

May 23, 2012
    Austin, AR
    Hey guys, I just got my CDL today. Live in central Arkansas and have been attending Diesel Driving Academy for the past twenty weeks (yep, you read that right...10 weeks classroom and skills, test for permit, and then ten weeks of road driving before testing out for CDL). Got all my endorsements, including tanker and HAZMAT. I've already been accepted to Maverick for their reefer division, but a family problem has arisen that will keep me from going OTR, at least for awhile. So I started looking at local tanker jobs, specifically in the oil and natural gas fields here in Arkansas. I found one company called Maxum Petroleum hiring eight class A drivers for "on-site fuel drivers." Anyone have any info on this company or job? The posting was pretty vague, and their website just talked about them being the biggest independent oil something or other in the US. No mention of previous experience in the job ad. I'm wondering about pay, hours, home time, etc. My background is that I have recently retired from the USAF as an MP, have a stellar performance record and lots of equipment experience, just not a big rig. School and the test was easy for me though. Any help you guys (and/or gals) could provide would be appreciated. I'm looking for job opportunities similar to the one I listed above, and I am very willing to work for it. They need to be local to me though. Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Call them with the same questions, good luck

4. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    You do know what "on site fueling " is right?

You will drive a bobtail around to area companies and fuel equipment. In Houston the job pays hourly. When empty you will return to the rack , fill your tanker and start over.

Pay attention to whats in the tank. Mixing gas and diesel pisses equipment owners off.

JMO

5. USAF Hog

USAF Hog Bobtail Member

May 23, 2012
    Austin, AR
    Thanks chalupa! No, I didn't know that. I figured it was site to site fueling, but the job as made it sound like a salary gig. Haven't been in contact with anyone in their company HQ in NY though...probably gonna try tomorrow. I was just looking for any insight whatsoever into the job and company. I'll take any info you guys have. Thanks again...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.