Newbie with Question Tax Deductions and Per Deim

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by FortClarkTXTruckerWife, Aug 2, 2017.

1. FortClarkTXTruckerWife

FortClarkTXTruckerWife Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2017
    I'm sure you've all heard this one before, but my searches have come up completely empty. Didn't want you to think I haven't tried to find an answer in old threads or anything.

*waving* Hi there! I'm M from Texas and we are new drivers, although the wife has driven before, about 15 years ago.

And that's where my question comes from. Back in the day, she was able to deduct unpaid miles on her taxes, even though Covenant owned the truck. So, if a run paid 1000 miles, but she actually drove 1050, she would deduct that last 50 miles at the going IRS rate.

Question 1: Can employee driver's still deduct unpaid miles? And if so, is there an IRS rule someone can refer me to so I have it for our records?

I'm also tracking her paid miles, and the difference between what she's being paid vs. the IRS rate, for possible deduction.

My second question concerns the Per Diem for meals. If she chooses the option her company offers to earn LESS per mile, but receive a Per Diem, will we have to pay income tax on the amounts she is overpaid? For example: Her company provides $30.00/day for food. She spends $20.00 per day.

Question 2A: Will we have to claim the $10.00 difference as income, and provide receipts for actual expenses?
    Question 2B: Is it better to not track receipts and simply use the standard deduction, minus the amounts per diem she'd been paid in total for the year?

Thanks so much. I'm on the administrative side of this thing and when she calls me every night I want to know what information I should get from her for our spreadsheets. Thanks again!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    We aint ever had that. If that was the case then I will have to revise about 31 years worth at roughly triple my life time income. That wont happen.

You got paid the miles you run, there is nothing in Taxes to pay you back for work never done. So if you only did 1200 one week, you cannot go running to Uncle Sam for the other 2800 or whatever miles not run.

slim shady Thanks this.
  4. LA runner

LA runner Light Load Member

Aug 1, 2017
    South GA
    Find a good trucking accountant or go to an irs office and ask them face to face. Good luck.

FortClarkTXTruckerWife Thanks this.
  5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Per diem is $62 a day everyday your not at your home domicile. Strait deduction off the top at the end of the year, you better have the log to prove it though.

If you take the "option" all the mega's like to bone drivers with, it decreases your SS amount paid in, of which coincidentally, the company has to match. So if you pay $2,000 a year in FICA tax, that's what the company has to match, and you still can take the $62 at the end of the year, everyday your out on the road.
    SO
    You really allow yourself to be boned coming and going. You don't get the big deduction at the end of the year. Your SS contributions aren't that much, so you get boned at the end when you retire. And your income is understated, so when you go to buy that big ticket item.......good luck.
    BUT
    The company saves all that money. Times how many drivers? A year.

6. augiedoggie41

augiedoggie41 Light Load Member

May 21, 2017
    So if a company offers an option for a per diem am I better off not taking it?

7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Absolutely. Most mega carrier will force it on you. If you don't take it, they just won't run you, until you quit. It's business. $2000 year times 6000 drivers = $12,000,000 they just screwed the SS fund out of, and put in their pockets.

x1Heavy, QuietStorm and augiedoggie41 Thank this.
  8. FortClarkTXTruckerWife

Aug 2, 2017
    That's kindof what I was thinking. It didn't make a lot of sense to me. I'd rather have the matching dollars into SS. Thanks for the input.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. FortClarkTXTruckerWife

Aug 2, 2017
    That's what I thought, too. Much rather have the matching dollars. Thanks!

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. FortClarkTXTruckerWife

Aug 2, 2017
    I personally don't think the information I have is correct, but just to make it clear, I'm not talking about 2800 miles not run.

I'm talking about miles that WERE run, as part of a job assignment, but that were NOT reimbursed by the company. So, we get paid for PROJECTED miles rather than ACTUAL miles. She was apparently able to deduct the difference. Not down time, not "missed days where there wasn't a job but she could've driven."

Actual miles on the road, hauling a load from shipper to destination. :/

It seems to me that the tax benefit of those actual miles would be available to the company, but since the driver doesn't own the truck, I don't see why it would be claimed on the driver's personal taxes. Except that, since it was work performed that wasn't paid for, it *could* be and it would still make sense.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    YOU CAN NOT deduct the mileage on a truck - period.

As an employee, you have no right to declare mileage deduction for any reason, your compensation is based on the job and the cost that is involved she isn't claiming or can't claim so what she did in the past was really illegal to do under IRS regulations.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.