Newbie with Questions

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Averishot, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Averishot

Averishot Bobtail Member

Nov 15, 2018
    After you get your MCI and DOT number. Is there a particular step or order you should go in as far as what to do next?

I have been researching for a while and now I think I am in information overload.

As far as trucks what is best or better than others? And trailers? Air ride or not needed?

Also, I was talking to a hottshotter who pulls a 45 foot trailer. Has anyone found that a 45 trailer could be better then 35+5? I know for load wise you can put more on but other then that?

Thank you for any advice.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NoCoCraig

NoCoCraig Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Chattanooga, Tennessee
    We dispatch Hot Shot trucks and a 40 foot deck is what you want (with ramps) That will handle just about anything that can go on a hot shot. You do not really need air ride. Requested so infrequently that I doubt it is worth it.

4. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    Are you looking for a semi or a pick up? Are you cdl or non cdl?
    I agree with NoCoCraig, I was told the same, 40 foot flatbed with ramps will keep you moving.

5. Averishot

Averishot Bobtail Member

Nov 15, 2018
    Thanks!!!
    CDL and looking for pickup. Just trying to see which one is the best option.
    I was thinking the same about the air ride.

6. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    I don't think any of the heavy duty pickups are necessarily better than the others. I read often that the perfect pickup would have a cummins engine and an allison transmission mounted on a ford chassis.
    I personally like the rams for no good reason other than how they look and they happen to match the gvwr I was looking for.

Go shopping at the dealerships and sit in them, take it for a test drive and read up on common problems to look out for for the model/brand you have chosen.

7. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    I work with multiple Independent Hotshot Owner Operators, have for many, many years. The type of trailer you choose is going to make a big difference in how busy you’ll be. We run three axle lowboys because it opens the door to some freight that just doesn’t work on straight 40’ deck overs, and 35/5’s. When you’re choosing trailers, think about the versatility, the weight of trailer, and the price.

We don’t order our trailers with air ride, just never needed it.

This is the trailer we use in our business.

GoBucks43228 Thanks this.
  8. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    As far as getting your authority, yes there is a order in what to do first. If not done in order the process can drag out and take much longer than it should.

GoBucks43228 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.