Newbie with USA

Discussion in 'USA Truck' started by cjoe85, Jan 7, 2008.

1. cjoe85

cjoe85 Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I had an interesting week. Discovered that my radiator was leaking on the 19th in Laredo of all places. Was told to get the truck to West Memphis for repair appt. The appointment either wasn't made or was lost after I got there, with almost no coolant, mind you. I was told to call breakdown and set a new appt. Called and was scheduled for 12:30 on the 20th. Go to turn the keys in on the morning of the 20th and am told that the truck was misstakenly scheduled for a service and not a repair. Call breakdown again and am told that the first available appt is Friday, also the day I'm supposed to be home. Call FM and am told that truck will be looked at right away two different times. Nothing. On Thursday nite truck is finally looked at and I am told that the part has to be ordered. On Friday the truck sits almost all day and my FM tells me that he'll just find me another truck. That afternoon am told that new truck is in Van Buren and a driver is enroute to pick me up. I go out to pack up my old truck just in time to see it being rolled out of the shop, good as new-ish. Newer truck was still mine so I took it. My new truck number is 1352. See you on the road.:biggrin_25525:

panhandlepat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cjoe85

cjoe85 Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Have you guys seen the new list of fuel stops. OMG! what happened to all the Flying Js? Almost all Pilots and are only allowed 50 gallons at some spots. What do you think?

4. Enigma

Enigma Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Memphis, Tn.
    I haven't seen the list yet. I haven't been by a terminal in about a month. I did notice that I was getting double points from some Pilots though.

How are you enjoying your new truck?

5. sudsnbud

sudsnbud Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Warren Mi
    Cjoe85 and all other posters thanks for this great read. I am a retired Ford worker getting ready to start school sept 22. This has been giving me great insight of what to expect. One of the things i picked up on was using quam to have in writing when telling you to drive longer than legal. Seems like they would back down if it was in writing. One concern i didn't see is showers. I know they have them at stops. I am use to a three shower day. Am sure I can live with one a day. Is that a reasonable expectation or should i bring a lot of cologne to hide smell. Snacks fruits and things how much can you bring and leave room to sleep? I seen where u was hungry and had not ate for a long while. You had nothing in truck? The sizes on freg tv's microwaves that will fit? can you have a coffee maker? Thanks agin hope to meet some of you on the road

6. cjoe85

cjoe85 Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, we get double points at all Pilots now, but the fuel stops are fewer and farther apart now. For instance, there are only four stops in Georgia, and no stops near the Baltimore area. It was bad enough heading East before but it'll suck to find a place to park now. The truck is great. I'm enjoying having a CD player, and I like the look of the aluminum wheels, but the Automatic is hard to get used to.

7. cjoe85

cjoe85 Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    95% of the time they will back down, because if you have, in writing the company telling you to do something illegal, that is a big DOT fine for the company, and that is a written record. Always get things on the q-com.

You earn one shower every time you put at least 50 gallons of fuel in your truck. With a lot of runs that USA has, you'll have no problem doing that. In our trucks 50 gallons is about a quarter tank.

There is room in the truck for a decent size cooler/fridge, TV, and microwave. In the standard truck you'll have two floor level closets, one with a cigarette lighter outlet (or inverter, depending on how new the truck is). Most drivers use one for some clothes and the other for their cooler. Above the closets are two open boxes also equiped with outlets. It is a good idea to have food and drinks in the truck. In my little narrative I was still new and just hadn't been able to afford a cooler, but I have one now. I know a few drivers who have there own coffee makers but most that I know just get theres from whatever truck stop that they sleep at. I hope that this was helpful. Good luck in school and I hope to see you at one of the terminals.

panhandlepat Thanks this.
  8. Thomas0810

Thomas0810 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2007
    BlueRidge Texas
    i just got issued a newer truck last week in van buren.It is a 2007 international with the automatic transmission.definetely takes some getting used to especially trying to stop it in 2nd gear truck seems to want to keep moving forward.Mine has the nice wheels on it also.Took it to the Blue Beacon last weekend and got it all cleaned up lookin sharp now,The Ac compressor went out on it Monday it is under warranty will have to get it in to a dealership on my next home trip truck # 1403 here see ya out on the road

cjoe85 Thanks this.
  9. cjoe85

cjoe85 Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I've been thinking about running my truck through the Blue Beacon. How much does that usually put you back? Have you been able to get USA to loosen the purse strings and reimburse you or no? I shouldn't be so cheap but I don't want to spend too much. That's kinda stupid reasoning, the more I think about it since the truck is basically my home. I might just go ahead and get it cleaned.

10. Thomas0810

Thomas0810 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2007
    BlueRidge Texas
    i usually spend 50-52 i get the rain x weathershield treatment and the citra shine put on it.You can get a basic wash for 42 i think.No i pay for it out of pocket doesnt bother me.I like driving a clean truck usuually get it done once a month.Cut back on 1 restaurant meal a week and it pays for my truck getting washed

11. TruckerJerry

TruckerJerry Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Greensboro Nc
    usa truck sucks why do you wont to work for a compeny that pays not a #### think 33 to 36 how can you make a liven off that and they have no mile i work for shaffer trucking a part of crete and they started me off at .44 and i run 2600 to 3400 milles ever week that i am out i take home 950 to 1200.00 just about ever week you wont do that working for usa

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.