Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by duxco, Jan 16, 2018.

1. duxco

duxco Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2018
    Hello,
    Looking into getting into hotshotting. Looking at some load boards come jobs post the rates some don't. Of the ones that do does the driver get the whole rate or does the broker keep part of that?
    Also if you get a job driving say 400 miles for $500 seems descent but how much time is spent loading and unloading?
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    This is going to be one of those posts where I appear to be an A Hole, i dont want to but i am so....

If 400 miles for $500 sounds decent to you, your business venture will be extremely brief.

4. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    You stole my @** Hole thunder... ;-)

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  5. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Dude, I make that going around the corner, literally. I am talking YARDS... Do you golf? ;-)

slow.rider Thanks this.
  6. duxco

duxco Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2018
    Well I'm just looking at the load boards. I guess I should try to figure the overhead first. That doesn't seem too black and white. I'm glad this isn't face to face I might have tucked my tail and run. Can you give me an idea how much downtime is involved? What rate do you shoot for?

7. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    The saying out here is go large or go broke. If you are going to HotShot, you need contacts. Have you any experience in this business? Or are you thinking about going out and buying a PU and a trailer and going to work? I can tell you this, if that is the case, you are better off getting your CDL and finding a good used tractor/semi and go that route. Most of the HotShot guys I know of are not doing that good, unless they have contacts and or family in the same business. A dollar a mile or less will only get you one place, broke.

Put it like this, a $700 a month pu payment, or a $700 a month semi payment? Give me a semi and I will gross $5000 to $8000 a week. I cannot help you with your pick up. But I bet I drive less miles, and have a real bed to sleep in. ;-)

8. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Load boards will get you one place, BROKE.

9. duxco

duxco Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2018
    Well, thanks. I recently retired but still need a bit more income. May try Home Depot.

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Do you have a cdl?
    Where is your location?

11. duxco

duxco Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2018
    No CDL. I'm in the Dallas area.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.