News camera was rolling as semi hits black ice

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by MrBoDarville, Feb 22, 2019.

1. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    The lesson here is whenever you feel a loss of traction occur... jam upon the brakes.
    That should make things much better.

NOT

It takes discipline to ride out a hairy situation when all instincts say "WHOOOAAAAA".

QuietStorm, Lepton1 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    Looks like he saw the car entering from the on ramp and freaked out by slamming the brakes. Should of just kept on going slowly and not worried about that car..he already has the right of way..coast on

sevenmph, drvrtech77 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    Yeah, that's the real test: can you steer and resist the temptation to brake while you are totally puckered? I've done it in a car when I was younger, don't ever want to do it in a truck.

QuietStorm, Lepton1 and lovesthedrive Thank this.
  5. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    One of the things we had to convey in racing schools and for trackday schools was that your reflex action is almost always wrong... i.e you should turn into the slide, don’t touch the brakes, let the vehicle “float” don’t try to over control it, give it fuel to straighten out, etc... These responses have to be learned, because most are diametrically opposed to your survival instinct.

It was always a conversation about contact patch area and controling that. It’s never like the movies where you see someone stomping on the gas and then stomping on the brakes and then kissing the trophy girl. Weight transfer is a killer. Smooth is safer and quicker.

I feel like the swift driver got scared and instinctively stomped the brakes and didn’t let up until he ran out of kinetic energy. Where as easing his foot off the accelerator and allowing the vehicle to float side to side wouldve got him to an area that had better traction and regain control. I feel strongly that if he’d been paying better attention, and possibly did a more thorough trip plan he’d be telling a story about how he recovered from a slide on ice just outside of San Diego. Instead we’ve got a teaching moment for new drivers and those who dont have experience in challenging conditions.

6. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    The other truck was definitely having issues, but dealt with it correctly.

sevenmph, QuietStorm, Bud A. and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I have a mantra I drilled into the skulls of all my trainees at Swift:

Coasting is your friend.

8. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Yeah that can be a difficult impuls to over come... Got a little refresher course this morning as I lost traction for a few seconds on some ice on I-29... Pucker factor of 9.9 cause I was being passed at the exact same time I felt the drives let go... Kept it on the road, got it straighten out, and managed to avoid contact with passing vehicle... Thank God!!

sevenmph, InTooDeep, Bud A. and 4 others Thank this.
  9. MOGLAR

MOGLAR Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Kansas City , MO
    Here is a news flash. ITS ICE!!!!! YOU WILL SLIDE EVEN IF YOU GO SLOW. The only difference is when you go slow you will crash or slide off slower lol. nuff said.

InTooDeep, Bud A., Lepton1 and 2 others Thank this.
  10. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Yes but if you dont lock your brakes, it is possible to keep it in control and keep going.

11. Yasinnur

Yasinnur Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2019

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.