News camera was rolling as semi hits black ice

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by MrBoDarville, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Yasinnur

Yasinnur Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2019
    It’s also good to have dash cam on your truck.

Cam Roberts Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Swifty didn't steer to correct AND hit the brakes. LMAO, trainer must have been asleep until after the jackknife, what an unfortunate way to wake up.

I had a pretty good slide a couple weeks ago in the northern Midwest while paasipa another rig that wanted to speed up while I was next to him during a snow storm.

As soon as I could think "what a dick" I noticed I was drifting towards the median. Steer back into the lane, nothing, here we go at 55-65 mph. Let off the pedal and keep the wheels pointed where I want to go, still heading into the ditch. One, two, three, four, starting to sweat, five, six, sev-. And then my truck grabs, I straightened it out with a pretty substantial wobble and get back on it. The guy next to me seemed to realize what just happened and kindly let off so he could get away from me.

Fun times. Anyway, don't hit the breaks and don't be a dick when the weather is bad.

InTooDeep, Bud A. and Lepton1 Thank this.
  4. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    First thing I bought when I bought my truck

5. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    The school bus lost it in the same spot , after Swift , so if he was still there it would not been good .

Oxbow Thanks this.
  6. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    Never hit black ice? I did in my pickup under light acceleration. It’s not fun. Not sure how, but I was able to counter and then soon as I was off the ice, tires caught traction and almost felt like I was gonna roll over from the g force. People should stop judging every truck with the name swift on the side. One day you gonna f... up

allniter Thanks this.
  7. Criminey Jade

Criminey Jade Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Not Colorado Anymore
    *Diamond Driver.*

I can't wait for the next lecture on how Swift's Academy is superior to any other drive training program on Earth. I know one lying ##### who'll never prove it!
    :biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559:

8. hotrod1653

hotrod1653 Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Somewhere in America
    I broke traction in Wyoming a few weeks back, just west of Rock Springs. There was another wreck there, and a tow driver pulling it out of the median.

Hit a slick spot and the trailer came around on me. I got back under it and heard that the tow driver made a dive into a snow bank.

Told myself it’s break time at Cruel Jacks, then heard the road was closed due to more wrecks to the east of us.

Bud A., Lepton1, Oxbow and 1 other person Thank this.
  9. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    A driver died this morning just west of Geary, OK. This was during an ice storm. She jackknifed and slid into a telephone pole. I've been out there plenty of times, in a wide variety of conditions, including blizzards and the remnants of ice storms. The road she was on was a narrow two lane road with potholes and curves that aren't banked properly. No shoulders, just a nice little 3-6" drop onto dirt. It's oilfield country. It's a wake up call to me.

I just finished unloading, then reloading in Houston today. Taking a 10 in Hillsboro, TX before setting out to OKC in the morning. Just talked with my brother, who sat all day without dispatch. It's 22°F in OKC with a misty drizzle coming down. The "fireworks" are starting in the woods behind the house...the tree limbs are starting to crack off from the weight of the ice.

10. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    That part of the world gets a lot of ice storms. I'd rather deal with snow, honestly.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    Swift driver was just showing off for the camera.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.