NFI truck accident on I80 near Williamsburg, IA?

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by crocky, Sep 15, 2017.

1. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Not sure where this post should go, but I'll try here..

Last evening I was headed west on I80 in Iowa near Williamsburg, there was a NFI trailer in the medium and as I passed I saw there was actually still a truck frame attached to this trailer. This was obviously a wreck which had happened earlier and had been partially cleaned up but I was curious if anyone saw this or had more info on it?

Im just curious because the only thing left of the tractor was the frame rails and drive train, so it was a very odd sight to see. The entire body was completely removed and was just a truck frame left hooked to the trailer, so it left me wondering what the heck happened. Anyone know?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BrownEyedGirI

BrownEyedGirI Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Cincinnati
    We passed that the other day and were wondering the same thing. I googled the heck out of it trying to find mention of it somewhere and couldn't find a thing. It was right around mm 222. I can't wrap my head around how/why a truck would end up like that. From e/b we could also see that it looked like the reefer unit was burned out.

crocky Thanks this.
  4. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Yeah, I was curious if it was a fire as well but the front of the trailer had a good bit of damage on the right side. So it had to be some sort of wreck.

Oddly there was also a few pallets sitting on the west bound side of the road. They had cardboard gaylords on the pallets so I dunno if a 2nd truck was involved or if they stuck a bunch of the truck parts in the gaylords.

5. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Truck was carried away by a roll of steel ln the reefer blocked by the pallets sudden stop and rolled forward sudden stop sudden death. Rip

lovesthedrive and crocky Thank this.
  6. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Holy smokes, what the heck were they thinking accepting a load like that in a box trailer much less the guys who loaded it? I guess that explains the missing truck cab & body.. Shame about the driver, but why the hell would anyone accept a load like that?

As a side note, I guess one of our guys flopped his truck on it side on I80 w going down the hill too fast at Laramie, Wy.. My trainer saw it today on our way through.. No idea about the driver or anyone else.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    A coil in a reefer?

A REEFER?! A Steel coil yea big and way heavy?

It's going to punch the front bulkhead, discard the cab clean off the frame and carefully mash it and everything and everyone inside to a mush. Then proceed forward running over anyone else in the path.

Please tell me that was a flatbed, not a van or reefer with a coil.

For engineering purposes, cabs are secured to the frame rails by a few bolts. Bolts in the front and airbags with bolts sometimes under the sleeper. Or whatever else. But relatively speaking against a monster coil loaded suicide style, it's just going to take that cab clean off. Whap!

lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  8. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    It was definitely a refer if he's talking about the same wreck as me. It being a steel coil would definitely explain the missing cab and body. It would also explain the damage I saw to the front of the trailer..

With the trailer I couldn't see the very front due to the angle of the wreck, but it did appear like it was ripped open in tne front. The damage to the trailer looked odd to me at the time, but I didnt think something might of let loose inside and came out..

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You will be surprised what will come through the front. If given a sufficient impact that forces the tractor stopping instantly. The physics transfer to the trailer which now will try to hold whatever is in it. The cargo is usually going to want out. Due to the impact from a front the driver is pretty much dead or worse.

We had one decades ago in Frederick Md, right off 70, hit the ditch at the truckstop at a angle, came out twisted like a pretzel. The tractor wheels to the sky, van trailer wheels on the ground. I always regret not taking a picture of that one because generally when a tractor trailer rolls over onto the roof of your cab your survival chances fall pretty steeply.

lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  10. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Nice theory. Links? ;)

pattyj Thanks this.
  11. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    This just gave me a sense of deadly deja vu because of my experience at Western Express hauling steel coil in the van trailers out of a certain plant in Norwich,Connecticut. We couldn't inspect the loads because the trailers were always preloaded and sealed(flatbed division didn't have this issue,for obvious reasons).

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.