Nikola Electric truck gets major backer

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Loudstacks, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Loudstacks

Loudstacks Light Load Member

Feb 29, 2020
    Florida
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ol'Shusquatch

Ol'Shusquatch Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2019
    BC Interior
    Yes, I do not see how it will not change many things, over time. Some segments of the market will change and are changing very rapidly.
    Local and linehaul applications are going to be the leader and proving ground. It is quite simple to set up refuel facilities at terminal locations where units return to daily.

I also like the hydrogen offering that Nikola are developing. That may be the answer to long haul.
    Anyway times are a changing and it's in interesting to watch history being made and evolution taking place at this pace. Look at the success Tesla has had in a short time. Now it's trucking's turn.

Loudstacks and bryan21384 Thank this.
  4. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

I’m not as Pollyannish as some people are, but I’m not as pessimistic as others.

This will come to local and regional first. (Makes you wonder why they put sleepers on them?) Honestly wonder why there isn’t an effort to improve rail service, take your freight to a rail head, rail head to distribution center with a self piloting rig, and final mile with an electric truck.

uncleal13 Thanks this.
  5. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    I would die for an electric truck on my local route.

I’m so sick for noisy diesels with no power when pulling 100+ k loads

6. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    This is from 4 years ago....

They had to refund the dowpaymen on all 7,000 trucks because they COULDN'T make it work...

1st it was a pure electronic power (plug in.
    2nd it was a hybrid. LPG mini turban to supplement and recharge the batteries
    3rd was a pure fuel cell they partnered with a German company to create the fuel cell. the fuel cell would only use durty Hydrogen made only from diesel
    4th this one.
    Power has gone from 2,000 hr to 1,500 to 1,000

Per their press release the 1st truck was to be the nikola two (daycab) and was to be on the road with the nikola one to follow this year...

To date they only have 2 non road drivable prototype's

They sound ALOT luke a turbo 3000

Nikola Motor Logs 7,000 Pre-Orders For Nikola One Electric Semi Truck

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.