Nintendo Switch and trucking, like a hand in a glove.

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by ethos, Feb 14, 2018.

1. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    So last Friday I'm sitting in a tank wash getting my trailer steamed for a Saturday delivery in Cincinnati. I get the call about 1500 that the customer's tanks are full and they cannot accept delivery until Monday. Now usually, I would rant, rave, beg, threaten and possibly cry for a relay but two things were different. For one, I was asleep when the call came and was a little out of it, two, I had a brand new Switch and my favorite game Skyrim with me. Needless to say, the Switch and I got in some very serious bonding.

I am a little late to the Switch. While I was in school, I banished all gaming from my truck so for two years, I have only gamed at home. Before that, my first foray into mobile gaming was the excellent PS Vita. While that was an awesome system, it was not supported very well and eventually I moved onto a full PS4 setup. What I did was by a Gaems portable entertainment system. Basically, it is a suitcase with a built in T.V. Really good setup and worth the money. The only problem was, while it was portable, it wasn't exactly mobile. So while I suppose you could take it into a drivers room, you would have been the weird guy. For one, it is bulky, two it takes a few minutes to setup or put away. The third was the PS4 itself. The system does not instantly start up or shut down. I don't know about other kinds of trucking but in tanking, when they bang on your door that means you need to get off the rack. No time to turn off the system, put it away and secure it.

Enter the amazing Switch. It is highly portable, not back pocketable, but the case is small enough. It turns on an off instantly and it is light so you don't get tired of holding it. The best thing about the Switch is that it is the big system, and the handheld. That was always a complaint I had on the Vita, many features had to be left out. Now, I have wasted a lot of my life to Skyrim. I bought it on PS3, the Special edition of PS4 and now this version. While the graphics are not PS4 quality, they are PS3 comparable. Also, it is the full game, complete with all DLC's. Essentially, this is a PS3, that you can hold. Another important thing to note is that it does not need a big inverter. I have never been able to get a PS4 to launch with any plug in kind. For some drivers, that is all they have. The Switch charges just fine with a cheap plug in.

All in all, this system is amazing for us truckers who want to game. I am extremely happy with mine. It could use more memory, and I had to add some Kontrol Freeks to the sticks, but all in all, I love it. Best layover I ever had, I was actually sad to see it come to an end. I was loving life. I can't recommend it highly enough. The only worry so far is the relative lack of triple A third party support. But the news has been good on that front and with the amount of these things they are selling, I think the developers will come around.

danny23tx, JReding and gentleroger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I wouldn't be surprised to see folks in here complaining about "drivers these days" and how you shouldn't be spending your time not working.

ethos and gentleroger Thank this.
  4. Thermos Bottle

Thermos Bottle Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2015
    GA
    I normally just watch movies or youtube videos, but I bought a Switch recently. I held off for a bit because there was initially a bug with one of the controllers. The new Legend of Zelda is amazing. And when at home, just plug it to the big TV.

5. Pmarrero88

Pmarrero88 Bobtail Member

Feb 13, 2018
    I play Xbox one in my truck I have a 40 in tv running off an inverted and my Xbox running off a different one.... I bought a straighttalk hotspot I usually use around 80 to 100 gigs buts it’s pay as you go I’m in my truck full time right now anyways pretty cool setup.....

417bigK and ethos Thank this.
  6. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    How are graphics on the switch?

7. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    I'm not much of a gamer myself, but I've been looking into the Switch for my boys when they come and stay with me. I like its versatility, and mostly the price point, because I'm a cheapskate. Plus, I'm not sure what I can afford yet because I'm currently going through a divorce. Yay.

I haven't really looked into it yet: what games does it come with?

8. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Ps3 comparable

9. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    Been looking at a switch . I can run my gaming laptop and ps4 but my apu will come on constantly.

10. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    It doesn't come with any games unless you get a packaged deal. The key part of the switch is the mobility, with you having more than one kid, you might just buy a Ps4.

JReding Thanks this.
  11. TaterFox

TaterFox Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Ashland City, TN
    Dark souls later this year for switch...drool

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.