NJ turnpike

Discussion in 'Hazmat Trucking Forum' started by Redtwin, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Does anyone know of any specific restrictions on the NJ tnpke/I 95?. Beyond the usual no tunnels etc?

Try to plot a route from DE to Edison NJ and Rand McNally with the hazmat option has me getting off the highway and onto rte 9 among other local streets.

Can't figure out why and NJ DOT doesn't seem to list any restrictions on that stretch.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    there ain't no tunnels on the NJTP.

frankly, i would not run 1/9, i had in the past. more traffic more troubles. and that was with an ordinary 53 footer.

i have run (with all sorts of hazmat) up the NJTP from the carolinas all the way up to the upper deck of the GW bridge, and onto the Cross Bronx expressway.

i ain't been over the GW Bridge in a few years, but i think trucks are still limited to the upper deck, hazmat or not.

bzinger and Redtwin Thank this.
  4. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Yes they are limited to the upper deck. I haven't been over the GW in a while, but it was $105!!!!

And when you get over to the NY side the road is so bad your fillings will fall out

Brettj3876, Vampire and Vic Firth Thank this.
  5. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Thanks, just as I suspected,the Rand McNally is talking out it's ***. I am familiar with I95 and knew there were no tunnels on the tnpke, only mentioned them as a general hazmat restriction. I am, however, very new to hazmat so was just wondering if there was something I was missing.

6. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    You’re good all along NJTP No tunnels anywhere in NJTP. Few low bridges on the north end of jersey but if you’re the normal 13’6” van and not some overheight you’re good.

Vampire and Redtwin Thank this.
  7. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Thanks for the replies, made it just fine to the receiver. Funny thing is I was 8 miles out and the RM was showing another 40 miles to go with no available alternate route. Once I exited off the tnpke it suddenly decided that my route was an acceptable alternate. :rolleyes:

Time for that sucker to go.

Trucker Paul and bad-luck Thank this.
  8. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    " recalculating " Rand always draws the straightest line and directs you off the turnpike.

It's never worth the hassle to get off and back on to save 0.5 miles.

I always turn the TomTom volume off when I'm riding with my wife until it stops recalculating and is going my way.....

We always used the Turnpike with haz mats; except in the snow then it really sucks.

Redtwin Thanks this.
  9. Deputy Chief

Deputy Chief Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Philadelphia,Pa.
    Their are no restrictions, on the NJ Tpk. for hazmat. Run the turnpike from the bottom, to exit 10. It will drop you rite into Edison.

MACK E-6 and Redtwin Thank this.
  10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Have to pay for the new Goethals and Tappan Zee...

Vic Firth Thanks this.
  11. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Yes! You pay to cross every bridge in to NY. Tappan is cheaper, dont remember the price. They used to give a discount if you crossed the Tappon between 12am and 3am. Don't know if they still do. If you ran the entire NJ turnpike and crossed into NY it will cost you around $200

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.