NM Bus/Truck Crash I-40 08/30/18

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by STexan, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Reefer outfit out of Fresno I think. Those guys pass me all the time, but so does just about everyone else.

I'm sure he didn't wake up this morning thinking the day would turn out like it did.

tbac, tinytim and Socal Xpress Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    That kind of damage just doesn’t seem to match up with a bus running into the back of some truck. Gotta be something else to the story other than a fast bus running into the back of a slower truck

Maybe a rear ended truck crossed the median and third truck going the other direction became involved? Or did one vehicle cross median into path of a second vehicle? Or maybe I’ll just resign myself to the typical fact we will never be made aware of the official initial investigation results.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  4. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    The truck was east bound, lost control and crossed over to the west bound side where the bus crashed into it.

Socal Xpress Thanks this.
  5. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    7 dead now.

Went by the crash site a few hours ago. Guys still taking measurements, etc..

Mountain of debris. I mean a mountain.

So this seems to be a legitimate accident.

Does the driver face criminal charges?

6. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Should be very interesting.

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    It’s just a matter of time before Loves gets named as a defendant in a future crash like this, where a truck that just went through a Tire Pass lane earlier then some sort of steer tire failure occurs that leads to a deadly crash.

I don’t trust the Loves Tire Pass system any further than I can throw it. I don’t know what they were thinking when the decided to create this new liability exposure for themselves. I guess it’s a good thing for them few utilize the service.

9. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    They are still working the crash site. Went by it yesterday.

The mountain of debris is gone, but dudes are still out there with instruments doing investigation.

They have the paths of travel marked with spray paint, and you can tell that truck almost turned left and crossed the median, nothing gradual about it.

It's maybe 1/2 mile from the top of the Divide as well. And he was on the downside. Speed limit is 75. He was probably near gross.

Dna Mach Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.