No cable tv… in town

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by MidWest_MacDaddy, Jan 4, 2022.

1. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    An interesting change has happened. In the town where my mom lives, approximately 8,000 people, the local cable company is slowly dropping their tv services to the whole town.

They will continue to provide an internet service but telling the community to just buy streaming packages to get their tv programming.

it’s not a “small town” like I said it’s around 8k and the county seat but it’s changed cable providers a few times and not one of the big providers at all.

While it did catch me off guard a bit I guess it’s not too surprising… more and more people streaming so fewer and fewer customers for the local cable company to compete for.

Interesting development and might be the way of the future in more and more towns.

Shackdaddy and gentleroger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Haven’t watched tv in over 5 years. Either tv changed or I did. Seemed like lots of reality shows were mostly on and they didn’t hold my interest.

4. MacLean

MacLean Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    I think it’s time everyone cut the cord and push some of these cable companies back into their spot. They’ve been gouging for far too long.

Speedy356, bzinger, Grumppy and 3 others Thank this.
  5. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    It is such a joy to get back to enjoying life without the "one eyed monster" I too cut back off of TV 2 years ago. When you look at what they are putting out it is not worth my time. Now if I can put down the "small one eyed monster" (cell phone) :eek::D

6. MidWest_MacDaddy

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Unfortunately the cable companies will become internet services only and then the streaming services will be the ones to gouge us.

Rubber duck kw, Speedy356 and TokyoJoe Thank this.
  7. MidWest_MacDaddy

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Oh, that one… lol

8. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada
    Get a satellite dish.
    Never lived anywhere that had cable tv.
    But a dish, yes.

The_vett, Magoo1968 and buddyd157 Thank this.
  9. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    We ditched cable here first for a amazon fire stick then ditched that for smart tv’s. Save a lot of money.

10. MidWest_MacDaddy

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Ya, we had DirecTV when they first came out. Loved it. Used to sell them on the side as a second job.

The_vett, Dflip and Pamela1990 Thank this.
  11. Troy_

Troy_ Heavy Load Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Roma, Alberta.
    We only had 2 over the air channels when I was a kid, then in the 90's I got a "grey market" Dish network system. They weren't approved for Canada at the time, I paid $1200 for the equipment and had to make up a US address. That was 30 years ago now, I still remember my phony address...29032 South Salo road, Mulino, Oregon.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.