No Cameras Companies

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Bozwik, Jul 18, 2022.

1. Bozwik

Bozwik Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2022
    Titusville, FL
    Are there any companies out there that do not use any of the micromanaging electronics like lane departure, bendix or Driveri monitoring systems?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    My Swift Volvo has the bendix camera system. Never had a problem with being nannied or micromanaged. Then again, I do my best to be a safe, legal and competent driver, so I don't have any problems anyway. But, that's just me.
    I don't know much about many other companies, and not aware of which ones have, or don't have camera systems. I think you'll tend to find better odds of not having camera systems with smaller companies. But, I don't know.

4. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I have a buddy back home at UPS who drove as a feeder driver and they don’t have em. It’s in their contract never to have them. I don’t know if that’s just local to St. Louis or nationwide or how that works tho. I know zilch about unions. Also this was like 2 years ago when he worked for them so that’s liable to have changed by now. So long story short, I have contributed almost nothing to your question. Sorry.

5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Probably, but nobody is sitting around reading every message and then logging the company names into some database which is outdated when a company on the list changes names or policy.

6. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    Everyone is going this way.

Why?

Think of all the nuclear verdicts you have seen lately. The Werner case, for example. It set the precedent that if any possible safety system is not installed on a truck (in this case, an outdoor temperature sensor), the company is inherently unsafe and the cause of the crash. It doesn't matter that the other party lost control and crossed the median in front of the oncoming truck, that the truck was going 20 mph below the speed limit due to the weather conditions, or that the truck averaged only 60 mph during the driving shift prior to the collision, he presumably wouldn't have been there to begin with if he knew it was below freezing outside.

With this precedent, the sharks are circling the waters any time there is a crash, and its only a matter of time before a jury decides that the collision avoidance system that happens to not be on that truck you want to drive was the reason you plowed into the church van after it blew a tire and crossed the median while barrel-rolling sideways into your path. You and your carrier will be bankrupted by that verdict, hundreds of people will lose their jobs... all because there was no collision avoidance system installed on the truck, per your desire. It doesn't matter that you would still have hit that church van full of kids with a collision avoidance system, the mere fact you didn't have it made you inherently unsafe as it was available at the time of purchase.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  7. Northern Nomad

Northern Nomad Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2020
    The frozen north
    Sad, but true. And they wonder why nobody wants to drive truck anymore.
    People that ask me about getting their CDL, I tell them the same thing I do to those that are thinking about getting married:
    DON’T!!

8. ghostcookie

ghostcookie Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2018
    Tennessee
    As a friend..who had been married and a truck driver once said, "dont, its a trap!"

I dont believe in an employee shortage, only a shortage of good bosses and the usual shortage of GOOD help (refer back to good bosses here).

Bozwik, theyre around, but you have to hunt or go to smaller companies ive found. Theres a no camera thread around here somewheres. That dont cover dingers and buzzers, but its a start.

9. BigTime1980

BigTime1980 Bobtail Member

Mar 1, 2021
    Herkimer, NY
    Smith has outward facing cameras, but not inward facing cameras. I might consider going back to them. The Petes are nice, too! I still had to deal with the BS that beeps at you when someone cuts you off, or merges in front of you and slows down. I passionately hate that crap! It beeps angrily and makes an already stressful situation a lot more stressful! Don't truck drivers die in their 50's all the time of stress-induced heart attacks?

10. Fuelinmyveins

Fuelinmyveins Medium Load Member

Nov 13, 2017
    PA
    Skip it to 4:50 minute mark. I see many truck drivers as well as 4 wheelers playing with their phone as I pass them in the left lane in my 65mph governed truck. Same folks are wondering why so many companies have driver facing cameras....

11. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    1918 Anywhere, USA 90210
    Probably the ones in Chicagoland

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted