No CDL...gooseneck anyone cited over 26K?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Chris Routh, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Chris Routh

Chris Routh Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2016
    My neighbor who has been an OTR for 13 years, then hauled cars for 7 years told me that he has seen the guys trying to run under 26k and pulling gooseneck/5th wheel get ticketed, and some put out of operation on the spot, simply because they are pulling gooseneck, even if they are unloaded sitting at the auto auction. Anyone ever experience anything like this? I know the law doesn't say this, but a law is just words on a piece of paper in today's world. I know CA laws do say that anyone hauling for hire, must have a CDL. Other than that, I don't know whether to believe him or not. I'm going to wait a few months after the new administration to see if the economy picks up, and then start with a 2-3 car hauler, but go under 26k for a few months, then get a CDL. So I already know it will be easier with a CDL, and I'm eventually going bigger with my setup. Got a free truck (2014 3500), and have been thinking about this for a few years, and have some extra cash to ride around for a few months if I have to, but my neighbor has plenty of contacts for and is willing to help me start, for me to have a 4 car hauler now. Just don't want any trouble with the under 26k thing. By the way I'm in Ft. Worth TX, and plan on staying within 500 miles for a while. Thanks for your input, Chris

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RollingRecaps

RollingRecaps Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Don't get why everyone is always trying to avoid getting the CDL? Simple written test then take your dully truck and trailer down and take the test in it. You can get a class A without the air brakes obviously. Don't know much about you hotshot guys but its not difficult.

Cam Roberts, DRAGON64 and cnsper Thank this.
  4. swaggerjacker

swaggerjacker Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2016
    From my understanding, it doesn't matter if you're over 26K or not. If the Gooseneck is rated at 26K +, you can be ticketed. I've watched videos of people being ticketed for no CDL with those setups. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

5. Chris Routh

Feb 27, 2016
    Not getting my CDL isn't the subject, and I actually said I am going to get my CDL. Swagger, I have read about the trailer GVWR even at 26k will get you ticketed, however, others say no, because the law reads that as long as you're GCW is under 26 then no CDL. I have wondered about this, because the GVWR for the trailer is going to be 24K and the truck is 14K which could be registered to 38K, but I'm not going over 26K for a while. As far as getting my CDL, I grew up driving all kinds of farm equipment/trucks, and hauling combines, bulldozers, tractors, equipment, etc, and driving larger vehicles, is not problem. Comes right back to me, but I'd like to have a little time to get my bearings completely straight before backing in between 2 hay bales.....I mean cones, and I never had to parallel park a 70ft hay wagon. My neighbor told me that I can't even drive around unloaded, if I'm gooseneck and for hire. That's not what the piece of paper says.

6. Chasingthesky

Chasingthesky Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Pursuant to Federal standards, States issue CDLs and CLPs to drivers according to the following license classifications:

Class A: Any combination of vehicles which has a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) whichever is greater.

That wording is from the FMCSA website. Your neighbor is correct in that it doesn't matter if you're loaded or not. If the trailer being pulled has a GVWR more than 10k AND the total weight rating of truck and trailer is over 26k, you gotta have a CDL.

You'll notice the wording says "whichever is greater". So, even if you plan to keep your actual and registered weight under 26k but your truck and trailer are rated for 38k, which is a number greater than 26k, you must have a CDL.

okiedokie, crb, Roger McG and 5 others Thank this.
  7. Chris Routh

Feb 27, 2016
    Crap, missed that part!
    Any ideas on how to practice for the driving test with a 3500? My trailer is going to be a 42ft long trailer. Oh well, I got a willed 2014 3500 to me with now 52K miles on it. Can't complain! Thanks Chasingthesky, now I have to stop chasingthesky. Chris

8. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    If your weight rating of the id plate on the truck and the trailer total over 26,000 # you will need a cdl.
    It's like driving a full blown class 8 tractor and trailer empty.
    Just because the tractor and trailer weighs 26,000# or less empty doesn't mean you can drive it around empty with out a cdl.
    The other thing is you are talking about a 4 car trailer and I know you will definetly be in cdl territory with any 4 car.

9. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    The big thing that hangs most people is the fact that a trailer over 10k GVWR trips you into a class A requirement.

Only exception is the RV exemption.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    This is the way I understand it as well.

If I took my 8300 pound tahoe and put a nice trailer onto it it wont gross 26K thus no CDL. But if I had a large pickup with dually and 5th wheel and take something capable of grossing over 26K I should have kept my old grandfathered CDL. But that is not my intention. I just posted my example to help you see about gross weights.

In my area there are many hotshots and about once a month someone tries to run it without a CDL for auctions etc and they get to go to the Court house to learn that lesson.

You already said you are getting a CDL so that should be ok in my book. Airbrakes is not really necessary, but you might want to get it on anyhow because newer trucks are being advertise with airride and it's a step from ordinary fluid braking to air brakes in a few years me thinks.

Parraelel parking was taught in trucking school because it is a useful stunt to feed 8 parking meters in a row in some downtown street if you have to stop somewheres with a semi. Ive done that a few times in smaller places like Cape Cod Mass where all the wheels were within a few inches, all the meters fed and everything was no problem. Breakfast time. They came and looked everything over, measured it and found there isnt anything to cite. So long I finish my meal before the meters run dry.

I remember that day well, it was one of my first uses of that skill and it made some people a little stressed to see a 48 foot reefer with a cabover moving into all those spaces like a ordinary car on that tiny street. It was show time.

Cruisin thru and 91B20H8 Thank this.
  11. Slay

Slay Light Load Member

Jan 7, 2015
    The only number that is important is the Gross Combine Weight Rating. This comes from the weight rating on each of the rating plates of each of the vehicles. Add them together and if they are less then 26,000 no CDL is required. It does not matter what the tag is registered for but the weight the combination of vehicles can carry.

The dually by itself does not require a CDL but a 13,000 pound dually and a 14,000 pound trailer totaling 27,000 pounds requires the CDL.

The 10,000 pound trailer varies from state to state.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.