No crank on Frieghtliner Cascadia 2016

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by myfuture, Jun 6, 2020.

1. myfuture

myfuture Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Hello,

The starter motor on my 2016 Cascadia Automatic Transmission does not crank. There is no power coming to the magnetic switch. Starter motor itself is good. I tested the motor by supplying 12 volts to the magnetic switch. What else should I check? The neutral position sensor? Where is located and how do I check it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Check the wires going to the relay/selinoid, it should be on firewall, between steering column, and wiper motor.

4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Cascadia relay is located on the starter on top of the solenoid. It’s called an IMS, integrated magnetic switch.

Motto Thanks this.
  5. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    The starter also has an OCP over crank protection (thermo over heat) switch located on the end of the starter motor facing the front of the truck.
    The start signal from the MCU goes to the OCP switch first, then the IMS relay on top of the starter, which then triggers the starter solenoid.

6. mixingconcrete

mixingconcrete Light Load Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Look on the starter and see if you can spot a plug going into it, it has 2 wires. Make sure it is plugged in and those wires not damaged. It is the overcrank protector. If those wires are not plugged in or damaged then the truck wont start. We had this problem once due to a damaged wire that rubbed on the frame.

uncleal13 Thanks this.
  7. Motto

Motto Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2020
    There are few lockup features that will prevent starter to go on. Your truck has auto trans and i dont know what can prevent starter to start. I would go to place who has diagnosticlink software. Diagnosticlink has a routine that shows why starter is not coming on.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.