No favorite company

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by zedanny, Dec 5, 2008.

1. zedanny

zedanny Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Arkansasa
    Hi I have no favorite Trucking Company . some of the I really liked and a few dislikes. some at the time that I thought were real bu*tt' holes but they were ok .
    Looking back over the years and there's been many.There are some that were just jobs and some I really enjoyed working for like J-Mar express out of Searcy Ar.
    You all know what I mean ,that everyone in the office knows your name and do say thank you for a job well done and if you screw up that's ok because I deserve a chewing out.
    Then there's them dispatcher that never saw at truck when they hired them.I personally thank that a Dispatcher should have to ride in a truck for a week before they ever give him a telephone.
    Then there's the ones that has an open door policy ( right )you talk to dispatch on a telephone form the driver's lounge or maybe the shop. Hey this sound familiar when you ask where the bathroom is at and it's the port a pot outside.
    Have you ever had them give you a brand new truck say like 5 miles on it . Wouldn't it be nice to be the first one to fart in the seat ? LoL. Or you go home and they take it away from you.That's like punishing you for doing a good job.
    I hear a lot off bad feedback on JB Hunt and they were reall good to me and the wife (20 years ago)So I'm not gonna run down any company that was fair with me.

As you can see there not Great job's just some are better then others. So when your looking for that great driving job don't just look at that fancy truck. Look at the office personal ask that driver if they know his name and if he can go in the owners office and talk to him.
    A lot of times the owner has no ideal whats going on in real life. Do you thank your dispatcher gonna tell him you are unhappy? Hell no he don't want to wake up a sleeping dog.
    Happy Holiday's from Danny,Sandy

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
    jeepskate99 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Thumper

Thumper Medium Load Member

Aug 22, 2008
    agree with that my best job was pulling flat's for a o/o loved it made good money and new the few people that where in the office.
    then he got a case of the ####### and pulled all his trucks togo on his own well few months later he went to the crappper.

4. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    In a nutshell, you are right. There is no Great trucking company. Just some that are better than others.

In my 25 years, I have experienced only good companies that are smaller... up to a few hundred trucks. I have only been with one large carrier, but hear all the time about the policies of the big boys. I really have no desire to be with a large carrier again.

What many drivers forget when searching out a carrier is the basics.... who are the primary customers, what type of freight, speed they dispatch at, what percentage of loads are preplanned, practical or short routing, etc. I have found that a lot of carriers are not bad in and of themselves, but they drop the ball on what they have for customers and freight, and the driver gets the short end of the stick on that. The fanciest carrier that promises the moon is no good if they don't have an operations/sales staff that knows how to do it right. I would rather be in a 5 year old truck and running consistent and steady than in a bright shiny new truck waiting at truck stops for another run. Take a look at any layover policy, I have found that carriers that don't even mention a layover policy usually don't have much of it so that it is an issue. But even those, will usually compensate if the a layover situation occurs.

In other words... look beyond the glossy truck magazine ads and research out a carrier. If they get annoyed that you are asking so many questions, or they give you "canned' answers or will not transfer you to different departments to talk with other staff people...... I avoid them. With my present carrier, I spent a solid 3 months researching them, made so many calls to various personel in different departments that they all knew me when I showed up to sign on. No one got upset that I was doing all this. And it payed off. Good carrier, good customers, good runs, good settlements, and darn good people to work with. Went thru a lot of carriers before getting to these guys. Virtually all of the others got frustrated or down right upset I was digging so deep into who they are and how they do things.

Dilligence does have its rewards.

zedanny Thanks this.
  5. snorelord

snorelord Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Springfield, Missouri
    I went to my first safety meeting at my company yesterday and met a lot of our drivers. They gave out longevity rewards. There were a lot of five, ten, or so years rewards given. That to me is a good sign. All but just a couple of veterans of our co I have talked to are happy enough here.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.