No jakes, how to slow down on hills?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jayfarmlaw, Dec 11, 2021.

1. jayfarmlaw

jayfarmlaw Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2020
    99 Volvo single axle, Cummins, Super 10, no engine brake. I've used this truck for a couple of years to haul hay on a gooseneck. I recently upgraded to a 48 foot stepdeck and pulled my first light load (50,000 total weight) with it yesterday. On hills, I would increase my speed and run the tach up to around 2000 rpm, hitting the brakes as needed to slow down. These are not long grades, so not that big of a deal, but it brings up The question about what is the best way to reduce speed on a down grade when I'm loaded heavier? Brake pedal, trailer lever, transmission...combination of all of the above? Is 2000 rpm too high to run downhill?

Thanks in advance for your response, Merry Christmas, and safe travels,
    Jay

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RubyEagle

RubyEagle Medium Load Member

Apr 17, 2010
    My buddy who used ro drive cabovers for J.B. Hunt said they never had Jake's on their Internationals. Said brakes were cheaper than engines?

2000rpms is not bad for an accelerating engine yet going downhill l would guess the drivetrain/driveshaft etc is really stressed. Just get the brakes checked and use em while trying to not go down the hill any faster than you went up l have always heard

4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Your technique sounds good. Just use a lower gear for a heavier load.

I say if you can’t drop your speed 5 mph in 2-3 seconds when you go to slow down, you’re using too high a gear to descend the grade.

5. goga

goga Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Earth..
    Anything running over 1800rpm is no good idea.. install jakes and be happy?

6. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    Yeah, thing to remember is it takes more energy to slow a rig down 5mph when it is going faster. The brake energy basically generates heat in the brakes and that is what you have to manage. Getting the brakes too hot is the number one thing you have to avoid. So, best thing to do is ensure you aren't going too fast down a grade. And, that speed also has alot to domwith how heavy you are. If you're lighter, it is safe to proceed down a grade at a faster pace. But, if you're heavy, you have to slow down alot more.
    Although I have engine brakes, I usually run fairly heavy and drive in the West with some fairly steep and long grades. Pretty common, even with engine brakes, that other rigs pass me as I'm creeping down a grade. I figure they are simply either lighter than me or more dare devil than I am. Either way, I only go down a grade at a speed I'm comfortable with. What speed that is depends on my load and the length and steepness of the grade. I've also been known to proceed down a grade at one speed, get about halfway down, worry I may be heating up my brakes too much and then slow down by another 5, 10, 15 or 20 mph. All depends on the situation.
    If you're inexperienced with all this, better to go too slow than too fast. In time, at least for me, it becomes more intuitive in what you feel is a safe speed and what is too fast.
    Overall though, it is far better to go too slow down a grade than too fast! One may make you a nuisance to others and take alittle more time, but, the other can create fatal complications.

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Start at the top of the hill in a lower gear. You'll have to go slower, no other choice.

2000 RPM is no big deal. If you look at the ID tag on the engine it'll tell you the governed RPM. Its usually around 2100 RPM on most large engines. If you're not exceeding the manufacturer's rating you're fine.

wis bang, Oxbow, MACK E-6 and 2 others Thank this.
  8. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    My secret technique is to cover my eyes and emit a high-pitched scream like a little girl. Seems to work okay.

9. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    Till it doesn't!!!

10. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Done it all the time running down from the rock quarry. Jake breaks dont work below 5th gear on my truck. Run down in 3rd and work the brakes. If u have a brake application psi gauge on ur truck. Keep it under 10 psi and find a gear you can maintain speed at. Can run down those hills like that all day long without burning the brakes up

11. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Didn't any of you read your cdl manual?

Set a target speed, when you are 5mph over that speed hit the brakes until you are 5mph under your target. Rinse and repeat.
    Don't ride your brakes for long times and 2000 rpm no problem

bumper Jack, dwells40, Ian2175 and 5 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.