No More Cars At Buick For The U.S.

Discussion in 'Other News' started by mjd4277, Dec 4, 2019.

1. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    WOW...that is unusual.. every stinking XLE i had ever seen had a sun roof. and the V-6.....

mjd4277 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    In my wife’s case both the 2017 and the 2019 were 4 cylinder XLE models. It wasn’t easy finding the exact match she wanted but I did it. The things that were on her must have list:
    Blue Streak Metallic paint
    Heated leather seats (for her back)
    NO SUNROOF (lol)
    4 cyl(V6 models were more expensive to insure)
    The hardest part was finding one with the paint job she wanted (most of the Camrys in stock were maroon,silver,white,black and grey) so she has a “one of a kind” Camry within a 300 mile radius!!lol
    #thethingsidoforlove

4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i have the Galactic aqua mica....

basically, dark blue with metallic flakes that make the car look like there are green waves when the sun hits it...

it was either that one or the other blue one, i think it was the blue streak in fact...

mjd4277 Thanks this.
  5. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    That’s the color I was looking for when I was looking at Corolla hatchbacks!As soon as one shows up on the market it’s snatched up almost immediately! No Toyota dealerships had any within a 500 mile radius! To make matters worse,All of the dealers are out of inventory for Corolla hatchbacks with that color-even on Toyota’s website.Closest car I could find with everything that I want it is located in Victoria,Texas!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  6. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
  7. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
  8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    They don't just go by where the vehicle is assembled, but by the overall percentage of American manufactured parts used to build it.

mjd4277 Thanks this.
  9. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Yes,I know firsthand. My Fiat 500 was built in Mexico but the engine came from Dundee,Michigan and the transmission from Italy.lol

10. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

I haven't heard directly, but I suspect this has to do with the CAFE laws. Vehicles classified as "cars" have to meet one standard and vehicles classified as "trucks" are subject to another.

The PT Cruiser for example is a truck, go figure.

Anyway Obama's EPA wanted mileage for cars to be somewhere up over 50mpg by 2025 or something. Which was almost impossible for anything with more than 4 cylinders without going hybrid. Cars take about a decade to develop so it caused some crash engineering projects. BMW's new turbo 4s (over complicated and expensive, reliability questionable) Nissan's CVTs, (unpopular, confused people that don't understand how it works) Chrysler's 9 speed transmissions. (Just gear the #### out of it! And hope it makes it past warranty) and Toyota's Hybrid all the things!

I'm not sure if the regs have been relaxed but we've got some overpriced, over complicated #### coming into dealerships over the next few years and they look like they will be terrifying out of warranty. $5000 for a replacement Prius battery, $4000 engine repairs on German cars, infotainment systems tied into engine management on domestics. It's a nightmare.

So it looks like the domestics are going to toss all the unprofitable sedans because there's always been more of a markup with SUVs. (Of course it was even better when they'd take a $12k pickup truck, slap a rear seat and leather onto it and charge $40k! I don't think purpouse built CUVs are as profitable, but they do have the "it's a truck, so we don't have to get 50mpg" loophole.)

Chrysler is going to keep selling 300s, Chargers and Challengers because Fiat stole all their R&D money. When that platform stops selling? Chrysler is done. Fiats are already played out too, and Alfa was an ego trip for an executive who died recently. So that's all she wrote for Chrysler.

Ford is F-150 and Mustang. Nothing else matters. Bill Ford isn't a car guy and his royalty checks keep him comfortable, so he'll keep hiring and firing CEOs until he dies. Long term strategy? Hah.

GM bent over backwards to appease China. The new Caddys are underwhelming, (I hear the Escalade will be hot though) Corvette was launched with a strike. Chevy doesn't matter to 90% of the car buyers, and nobody looks at Buick.

Nissan is having trouble in the boardroom.

Honda is getting its mojo back.
    Toyota wants to get more street cred.
    Mitsubishi is,,,, well we can work out SOME sort of payment plan.
    Mazda is in its own little world (God love em)

Hyundai/Kia/Genesis is trying to be taken seriously. (And you should! They're on fire!)

And ze Germans vil still separate ze juppys fromz zer moniez!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.