Do truckers use the CB anymore?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by jmarc77, May 11, 2022.

1. jmarc77

jmarc77 Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2021
    I'm still in the process of obtaining my CDL, but I do have a CB setup in pickup truck. I'm running a Cobra 25 with a Wilson 1000 on the roof. My SWR is around 1.1. I usually keep the radio set to ch. 19 but I rarely catch anyone on it. I'm in Western PA near a lot of major highways- I-70, I-79, I-76, US 22, US 422. And I frequent those highways but it seems other than an occasional work crew somewhere or the people babbling on ch. 6, I don't hear very much other than static. What gives? Is there really no one using CB out here?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Not unusual down here in the south on I-10 through I-40 for it to be quite sometimes.

Count your blessings when they come.

I hear about as much skip as I do trucker chatter.

4. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Not many folks use the CB anymore
    About the only time its active is in a traffic jam where everyone wants to know which lane to get in

OLDSKOOLERnWV, Bfr38, Vampire and 15 others Thank this.
  5. jmarc77

Sep 17, 2021
    I suppose it's not a bad thing that I'm not constantly hearing people blabbing. Of the drivers I've talked to, many of them don't bother using the CB for that reason- too many people clogging up the airwaves talking nonsense and sounding like they are speaking in tongues.

I know it's not very popular anymore, but I was surprised that it was almost completely dead.

Bfr38, Blue jeans, The_vett and 5 others Thank this.
  6. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    If you think there is no talk east of the Mississippi, just wait until you hear the dead airwaves west of it.

Blue jeans, The_vett, Coffey and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    Not much talk on the radio anymore I don't even bother asking what's going on. A few of us old timers still have it on though.

8. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    I turn mine on when there’s either traffic or bad weather. The rest of the time it seems like I’m only hearing local dump drivers or someone making some kind of fool of himself.

9. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015

This gets me to shut mine off all the time. In some places at least 50% of the chatter has to do with the status of some drivers undergarments. I dont judge , but I also dont care.

10. jmarc77

Sep 17, 2021
    I had it on this morning going through town. I heard what sounded like some dump drivers caravaning through town and an occasional comment about the road conditions. More than I usually hear though.

11. jmarc77

Sep 17, 2021
    I'm genuinely curious what people get out of doing it. Is it fun for them to just be annoying?

I also get a lot of interference from power lines and traffic lights in town to the point it's useless to even leave it on.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.