No or low air flow, no heat but ac works

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by CDL CPL, Apr 23, 2020.

1. CDL CPL

CDL CPL Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2017
    Iowa
    I have a 2013 Freightliner Cascadia. I'm getting little to no air flow from the vents. The AC only blows out from the floor no matter where the control is set. The air coming out is cold and comes out less when accelerating. The real issue is no heat. Few nights ago it was chilly so turned it to heat and nothing. Air flows the same way as using ac but no hot coming out at all. Driving or parked gets no heat what so ever. The controls don't seem to be working up front but they are working to control sleepers unit as they normally would. I have been having issues with water on the passenger floor but since this new issue I haven't noticed any water. Not sure if those are related but thought I'd mention it.
    Also the bunk ac/heat work just fine but those are separate systems from what i can tell. Just thought to mention it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start? I am not at all familiar with these HVAC systems so any help is appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. McMahons Trucking

McMahons Trucking Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2018
    Sounds like your blend door is not moving. Have you checked fuzes for the AC system?

CDL CPL Thanks this.
  4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    You can recalibrate the blend door. It probably a long shot but it might fix it

Just passing by and CDL CPL Thank this.
  5. CDL CPL

Aug 14, 2017
    Iowa
    Are there separate fuses for the system in a different location other than the glove box ones?
    I was thinking the controls or the blend door like you said. Is there anyway to check if the door is opening and closing properly without having to take apart a million things? Tools are limited since we are out on the road.

6. CDL CPL

Aug 14, 2017
    Iowa
    Didn't know that was actually resetting the system.but yes we have tried that.

7. tallmon

tallmon Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Do you have any codes?
    If no codes then probably the blend door.
    Could also be the HVAC control head. Try replacing it.

CDL CPL Thanks this.
  8. CDL CPL

Aug 14, 2017
    Iowa
    No, no new codes. Not sure what the control head is? Do you mean the actual in cab controls or is there something else I haven't heard of? Is there a way to possibly test the blend door?

9. CDL CPL

Aug 14, 2017
    Iowa
    So we tried again, and the lights do not blink. Holding down the 2 bottoms together they are supposed to blink but they don't. Any idea as to what that means?

10. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    No I don't know.

CDL CPL Thanks this.
  11. BRD TRANSPORT

BRD TRANSPORT Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2018
    More than likely the actuator

Brandt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.