No parts?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Oscar the KW, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    This should really be shocking to nobody. Over half the world shutdown almost a half a year for a pandemic. Guranteed all of those parts assemblers were deemed non-essential. What we are seeing is the ripple from the stock piles being depleted. Bet all those jobs are looking pretty essential now?

Its been really random too. Everything from common exhaust clamps to overhaul kits. Bottom line, cannot fix broken trucks without parts. Really forces you to think outside the box and be creative in uncertain times.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I'll bet business is booming in the truck salvage biz now .

InTooDeep, Dave_in_AZ and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  4. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    We must have worked for the same major companies I did. They were strong on training in house and factory.
    Have been to Ford plant in Atlanta for C6 transmissions. Mack for Midliners, Rockwell, Delco, Thero King etc.
    There was a test at the end of each one. They always said there is no pass or fail. The test is only to see how well we are doing at training. The group in training usually came from 4 states or less. The people were the same 90% of the time. Some would come and some would go. It became apparent to me that if you did not score well you did not get to return. I went with the guys a few times but finally learned to pass. The Chetta III in Atlanta and that suit and tie place in Des Moines were better than most.
    Mostly married men away from their wife. I was not married. Early to bed and early to rise helped me. Received a lot of training that way. The advanced electronics courses in 1985 and 6 were hard for me. If you made it through the years worth of correspondence books they paid for a motel, paid 40 hours and provided a week of training. Advanced electronics from 1986 is a joke compared to what is out there today.
    Now how did I get here? Thanks bzinger.
    Where was I going? Examine yourself and move up. I struggle to do that myself everyday.

5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    :laughing-guffaw:,,oh, that's a good one. We're in the jam we are in today because it's a throw away society. Most drivers that might rebuild something, if you even can, are probably here. Upcoming drivers couldn't tell you a water pump from an alternator, it's not required today. For example, before I came to Colorado, the local implement dealer in N.Wis. was looking for a repair person to fix chainsaws. This guy had a PILE of chainsaws, some only needing minor repairs, the people just bought new ones. I think you have a point, now more than ever, if you can rebuild something yourself, it's the way to go, but if you can't do that, may as well get in line,,,

Dave_in_AZ and bzinger Thank this.
  6. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    I will concede that globalist corporations also have a hand in this by giving away all manufacturing of #### near everything to China. I said more than 20 years ago, China won't even need to fire a bullet to take us over, they only need to cut off the supply of goods.

SL3406, JoeyJunk, InTooDeep and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    It is futile to blame businesses for following their own interests. That's what businesses are suppose to do. The fault always lies with government. Taxes, regulations, tort lawyers, and labor unions, those are the reasons companies would rather manufacture overseas. It is a myth that they do it only because of lower labor costs.

8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Companies don't pay taxes. They always find a way to avoid them.
    Look at GM getting tax breaks when they threaten to leave every few years. Or the Foxconn boondoggle outside Milwaukee.

9. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Companies do pay taxes and they shouldn't. It's just double taxation since earnings ought to go back to the investors anyway. Instead we get economic distortions caused by tax avoidance behavior. And we get wasted capital resulting from companies engaging in hair brained schemes instead of paying dividends. What does a bald headed bookseller know about rockets?

JoeyJunk and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  10. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Major companies pass along their taxes to the consumer. So let’s raise the Corp tax, we’ll enjoy inflation!

11. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Exactly. There's no sense in blaming the red Chinese for taking advantage of the fact that every single Republican and Democrat administration had sold this country down the river to them since the early 1970's until Donald Trump put a stop to it. Which was only one of his many think outside the box foreign policy success stories. It was Marx or Lenin who said it a long time ago that the communists were going to hang capitalists with the same rope that the capitalists sold to the commies.

Building things in this country again is just part of the answer. Coronavirus exposed how weak the whole JIT supply chain is. But cost is everything and you can't just have warehouses full of **** because that costs a lot of money.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    Opus, JoeyJunk, Dave_in_AZ and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.