No personal conveyance?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by FinkPloyd, Feb 20, 2017.

1. FinkPloyd

FinkPloyd Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2015
    I was talking with someone today who says that under upcoming regulations, Owner operators will not be able to use personal conveyance at all. As in if you want to take your Truck to be serviced on your own time you will not be able to do so. Does anyone know anything about this?

The way I understood it is so long as you are unladen and not under dispatch you could drive your truck wherever you please for any reason. I just cannot see something like this being passed without every O/O under the sun being up in arms about it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Taking your truck to be serviced isn't personal conveyance, and should be logged. PERSONAL conveyance is you using the truck to get where YOU want to go while off duty...food, lodging, entertainment...basically when you're using the truck as a personal vehicle, you're "off duty". Always has been. When you're moving the truck to reposition for a load, have it serviced, or any other "work" related task, you're "on duty".

Friday, peterbilt_2005, ChaoSS and 8 others Thank this.
  4. dlstruck

dlstruck Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    What about dropping off a load like 30 miles from home and then driving home empty? I'm not under dispatch and I am off duty going to my lodging. I've always wondered this because I regularly have a delivery within 50 miles of my house and some days I'm close to running out of time. It would suck to have to sleep in my truck that close to home once ELDs are mandatory.

5. Inthedark

Inthedark Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2016
    springfield MO
    Have to be bobtail. Also, wherever you started personal conveyance. You are supposed to return to that location to go back on duty.

I'm pretty sure. I would find it pretty strange for the feds to be messing with that portion of the regulation also. They are too busy jacking with other topics that work fine...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  6. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    I've done that before, too. Delivered an hour from home on Friday night. Didn't need the trailer, so I dropped it at the yard half way to the house. That was the end of my 14. PC'd it the last 30 minutes home for the weekend. Not under dispatch. Not loaded. Not positioning the truck for my next load. Just driving myself home.

magoo68 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  7. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    No, you simply cannot be loaded. You can have an empty trailer, so long as you are not under dispatch moving the truck or trailer to reposition for a load. If you PC home, and then are dispatched from the house on your next load, then you're back to on duty driving when you roll out...no need to return to where you were. However, if you drop your loaded trailer and PC home, you can PC back to your loaded trailer to resume your trip.

8. FinkPloyd

Sep 2, 2015
    Yeah that's true... I should have worded that better. The way he was saying was your own truck is essentially like a fleet owned truck; you cannot drive it or move it for any reason other than going to and picking up a load.

For example if you wanted to drop your trailer at a lot and bobtail home you wouldn't be allowed to do it. Or if you wanted to Drive your truck to the store you also wouldn't be able to do it. I just cant fathom how that could be a rule.

9. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    It's not anything coming down from the feds...sounds like company policy. They need to tread lightly with that sort of policy, though...if they treat you like an employee (instead of an independent contractor), they can find themselves in hot water with the IRS.

rearview and FinkPloyd Thank this.
  10. FinkPloyd

Sep 2, 2015
    Thanks Bulldog, I was quite sure it couldn't be true as a rule for all Owners but wanted to be sure. I just couldn't imagine such a draconian rule being established without people being up in arms. A Government regulation completely doing away with personal conveyance just seemed a massive overstep.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  11. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    PC is not just for owner operators. A company can give a driver permission to use the truck that way. Our company lets us use it for PC up to 10 miles a day. All the laws according to the DOT still have to be followed, of course. I might only use it once a week or two to go get groceries or something, but it is a nice thing to have. If we are caught abusing it, they turn it off in our PeopleNet so we can't. I haven't got it shut off on me yet.....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.