No power. Poor fuel economy.

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Amram, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Not true..... maybe the shops you dealt with.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Amram

Amram Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2017
    It came with a 10 speed manaul. I swapped in a similar ratio 13 speed to gain the splits.

KB3MMX and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Did that affect performance immediately, or has it gotten worse lately?

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. Amram

Amram Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2017
    No it didn't affect it at all it just recently got crappy

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  6. bavarian

bavarian Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    Did you start at the basics? Air filter, fuel filter, restricted flow from tank? Does one of the tanks drain faster than the other?
    How about your shifting habits. Those engine are low rpm engines. They perform best at their torque range. 1200-1400 rpm.

7. Amram

Amram Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Stop my shifting habits because it just recently lost 3 miles per gallon lifetime fuel efficiency of this truck with me driving it has been 7.9. It just had to be serviced done 2 weeks ago and the driver side fuel tank drains faster than the passenger side tank

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  8. Amram

Amram Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Oh and over the weekend I had the engine smoke tested to check for leaks I can hear something that sounds like a leak coming from the EGR side but it doesn't come up during the smoke test because they waited until the engine is cold but when the engine is hot when I lose power

9. bavarian

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    Check your boots from turbo to intercooler and back to the mixer housing. Spray them with soapwater. There is an O-ring on the driver side where the elbow coming from the intercooler is attached to mixer housing. This O-ring does sometimes break. There is also a notch in there to hold the elbow in place. I had it broken off on a truck before which let the elbow move and tore the boot apart.
    Find out why your tanks don't drain equally. You do have a problem in that area. The engine might duck fuel from one tank only and not get enough juice.

Good luck

10. Amram

Amram Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2017
    I have replaced those vent filters in the past 6 months. I said to hell with them this weekend and just unplugged them. Next step is replace the fuel lines. Volvo in Nashville thinks I might need to replace the fuel filter assembly on the driver side with the spin on since I have 656k miles on the original. The truck is on its 9th set of injectors.

Bakerman and KB3MMX Thank this.
  11. bavarian

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    9 sets of injectors in less than 700k miles does tell a story.
    Find the issue fast before throwing more parts at it or do as advised before: SELL IT, FAST.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.