No start condition - cover the exhaust with a rag and it starts

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by freightlinerman, Sep 5, 2012.

1. freightlinerman

freightlinerman Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Florida
    Very interesting today, we had a Humvee with a 6.2 diesel V8 that would crank but wouldn't start. Someone stuffed a rag with their hand in the exhaust, sure enough it fired right up. What causes this? I didn't get to ask. I've never seen or heard of it. The engine had a strange lope to it too and idle, where the RPM's would rise up 100-200 or drop 100-200 and would stall out if you revved it up and took your foot of the throttle. This was also a freshly over hauled engine, basically the entire vehicle was refurbed.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IceCreator

IceCreator Medium Load Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Werent 6.2s naturally aspirated? So they would need backpressure. What does the exhaust look like? Is is straight piped?

4. freightlinerman

Mar 4, 2011
    Florida
    No, it's not straight piped its a military vehicle in service as such, it is muffled. Yes, naturally aspirated. It shouldn't need a rag in the exhaust to start, so what did stuffing one in there accomplish.

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Sounds like the engine is out of time. The rag thing baffles me, I would love to see that! Any way of making a video?

6. freightlinerman

Mar 4, 2011
    Florida
    Possibly tomorrow. I will see.

7. IceCreator

IceCreator Medium Load Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Backpressure?

8. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    The fuel system was too full of air to pop off all the injectors for it to start and run. So by stuffing the rag in the exhaust enough unburnt fuel was accumulated in the cylinders for it to start. It didn't run or idle well due to the air in the fuel system and the governor in the injection pump cannot operate correctly with air in the injection pump.

You could look at it this way: Starting fluid or WD-40 can be used to prime an engine through the intake, so blocking the exhaust primes the engine too, just with the engines own limited fuel source.

haycarter Thanks this.
  9. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    new WD 40 does not fire in engine. old did.

So use small LPG bottles (for lighter filling)

bender Thanks this.
  10. COLE15

COLE15 Bobtail Member

Mar 25, 2015
    My unit has one of these HMMWV's in our motor pool that does this. I ussually cover the exhaust with a document protector. So it would not be a compression issue?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.