No start

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by lwlevens, Apr 20, 2018.

1. lwlevens

lwlevens Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2018
    Hi guys changed fuel filter last week. Filled the filters with fuel. Started the truck right after and ran with no problem,also drove it around a couple days later. Parked the truck for a few days and now it will not start,trys to start but no start. Took off one of the fuel filters and cranked the engine over and no fuel is coming out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks 1999 Detroit 60 12.7

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Did you check you have fuel flow from your tank.
    I've done this by removing a plug from tank and hooking in air pressure. Doesn't take much pressure.
    Or empty tank and remove your hose.

4. mslashbar

mslashbar Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2009
    elizabeth,co
    Which filter did you take off? If you took off primary filter you won't get any fuel coming out because it's before the pump.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  5. lwlevens

Feb 9, 2018
    It WAS the primary filter. When we crank the engine smoke comes out of the pipe does that mean it's getting fuel? Thanks No didn't check flow from the tank.

6. mslashbar

mslashbar Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2009
    elizabeth,co
    You probably lost the prime. I'm not sure of the procedure to reprime a Detroit but that's probably what you need to do, and then make sure the orings are seated correctly on the filters.

7. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    i'd get the air hose out and blow those fuel lines clean there could be a blockage in the pipes, it really comes down to a process of elimination you've carried out the first part by changing the fuel filters so that's not the issue time for the next step.

8. lwlevens

Feb 9, 2018
    Almost lit yesterday.Took off the starter to get tested tomorrow cause it seems to be cranking slow even though I just installed new batteries.

9. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Bad batteries or a bad starter can make a truck difficult to start.

But it sounds as though this just happened when you change the filters so most likely you're not primed.

I don't work on electronic engines so you need to find out what the procedure is to get it primed because you don't want to crank that engine and crank and crank it.

Eventually it will start but you'll kill your batteries and your starter. If you prime it correctly it will start like it should.

The series 60 trucks that I used to drive for whatever reason they did spin a bit before they started. I always assumed it was all the electronic nonsense that did that because those trucks were brand new.

The mechanical trucks that I have don't even spin one quarter of a turn and they start.

10. lwlevens

Feb 9, 2018
    Thanks. Sounds like It did lose it's prime.I bought a pneunmatic brake bleeder kit and going to hook it up to the fuel line and suck any air out of the system if it's not the starter,I think the bleeder hose hooks up to the return line from the head to the pump not really sure so if anyone knows more on how to do this let me know. Thanks. It always did crank slow but always started until now. Probably lost it's prime.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  11. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    If you want for your truck to be primed and to stay in Prime and never lose Prime here is my suggestion and how I prime my trucks.

I don't know if the series 60 has check valves or not but you need check valves to remain in prime. If you are not familiar with them they are a one way spring loaded valve that will only permit fuel to move in One Direction. You can buy them at any plumbing supply and they are very inexpensive.

I use a lift pump from a two-stroke Detroit to push the fuel through the system. If you put a check valve at the very first filter the first one from the tank and you push the fuel through the engine until you see it come clearly out the return line with no bubbles. At that point from that filter through your engine through the return line you are in Prime.

If the supply line to your engine comes from the bottom of your tank, put a check valve at the end where it meets the filter. Pull the fuel through until it runs clean and disconnect your pump.
    Now the line is in Prime from the tank to the filter and from the filter through the. engine

If you situate it in this way if you ever have to disconnect the fuel line that goes from the tank to the filter it will always stay in Prime. When you change your filters and you refill them with fuel and you put them back up there everything from the tank to that filter is already in prime.

You also can put a check valve after the last filter on there, where it goes up to the injectors. Without the check valves the engine will lose its prime because the fuel will run down and out. With check valves everything stays pickled and in Prime. Also check to make sure that you do not have any leaking lines or collapsed lines.

If you do this I think you will find that your truck will start faster and be much easier to change your filters.

Also I don't know if you can prime it through the pump however the pump works on that engine. On a two stroke Detroit pump is gear driven so you can't go through that pump without the engine turning. You have to prime that engine up to the pump and then prime from behind the pump.

If you have any questions you can p.m. me.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.