No trucking Company's left to work for??

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by zedanny, Nov 12, 2008.

1. 074344

074344 Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Los Angeles, ca
    Folks,

I don't want to speak for bduke but I don't think he meant any disrespect. At least I hope not. While I actually found his mangled comment funny, I understand what both of them said. I know we all come from different backgrounds and educations. I think we can all afford to laugh at ourselves from time to time. At least I can. We all have different afflictions that hinder us in some way.

zedanny and bduke have both made good points in their statements. That is what should be focused on by all of us. That is why we come to this site. To share our experiences and hopefully to help others.

Try to look not on how it was said but focus on the meaning they were telling all of us.

Drive safe

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kindsoul

kindsoul Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2008
    columbus, OH
    In my experience, not in trucking, since I am just starting, People who post online are usually upset and need a place to vent. Happy people post less, because they are happy and busy and have no reason to let their opinion be known. I usually post on band sites and came here for information about companies. It's the same here. Also people usually write things without thinking their thoughts through, I have written stuff and felt differently later after being slammed by other posters. You have to take everything read online with a grain of salt or else you will find the world a very unhappy place.

The best answer I was ever given about a company came from a Werner driver who, when asked how he liked Werner, Said, "It's no better or worse then any other company, I suppose.".

Drive safe and enjoy what you have, because life can be a whole lot worse then driving for money. :biggrin_25519:

4. jeepskate99

jeepskate99 Road Train Member

I don't keep up on threads like some so this reply is late. Thank you Danny. your replies tend to be the most level headed I have ever seen on an internet forum. You are truly an asset to this forum.

AfterShock and Big Don Thank this.
  5. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    There have been so many excellent posts in this thread! Both positive, and negative.

There is a lot of truth to what the poster said about this type of board being a way to vent. That isn't exactly what he said, but it is the same thing, and he is right. It is a good way to blow off steam. And as he said, what is written needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

You can read one person's ideas and beliefs, and think, yeah, that is right. And then the next poster can just blow you away with a different point of view, one that you hadn't thought of before.

That is the beauty of a forum such as this. It gets people thinking, and discussing things.

Most of us realize that with any company, you are going to have things that are bad, and things that are good. To think of any company as being all good, or all bad, is just unrealistic. Life is not like that, and neither is any company.

What you need to do is evaluate as to which outweighs the other. Then, if you find that the bad outweighs the good, you might want to look to go somewhere else. But don't forget, before you make that decision, that things are pretty tough right now. Don't burn any bridges.:biggrin_25512:

AfterShock and cpassey Thank this.
  6. Trucker Dave

Trucker Dave Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Kensington, Kansas
    Hi Danny; Great in sight in truck driving. It`s a job that is not for everyone. You got good times as well as bad. You have got to roll with the punches. I `ve been at it 37 yr. Been there done that. If I had it to do over I really don`t know if I would. I really liked driving when I started, but it sure has changed. Happy hollidays safe journey to all. Trucker Dave said that

zedanny Thanks this.
  7. zedanny

zedanny Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Arkansasa
    Hello Dave
    I thought a lot about would I do it again.I don't thank I would change a Thing.I Remember when the day that your boss handed you a hand full of pills and told you he wanted the truck in Ca. in forty hours or N.Y.C. in 24 hours from Kansas City area.Today that doesn't seem to hard now days with the super highways and modern equipment.but back then it was two lane road and you had to drive right tro down town all city's stop light to stop light.Cracker box Jimmy's or Emoryville's with 180 Cumming.
    I enjoyed meeting the people on the east coast.A driver just had to change his attitude when he crossed the Mississippi river.
    Going to storm Lake Ia. picking up a load of swinging pork and hauling ### to the Bay area.Loading produce out of Ca. or Arizona. we didn't load at the loading dock we loaded it in the field one box at a time then go ice down.

I guess one thing I would change would taking better care of my self ,health wise.I have an enlarged heart from taking to many pill to stay awake.Yes a lot of us did take pills to stay awake but none of that stuff the makes you crazy.It's a funny thing took pills 1/2 of my trucking carrier to stay awake now I take them to stay alive.

Now about the truck strike of 1973 I was in Jersey Truck stop (Rubb's) getting ready for bed when a friend of mine who went by the handle of River Rat told me he was gonna block I-80 in Pa( yeal right) woke the next morning turned the radio on and that was all I heard RIVER RAT EDWARD'S BLOCKS I-80. Holly crap I couldn't believe it.So going home EMPTY to Kansas City was really spooky because I wasn't meeting a single truck The Road was blocked in Ohio.made it to Buck eye lake in Ohio and there I set in the middle of the road with a bunch of pissed off four wheelers and truck. After setting there for several hours I locked the truck and walked to the bar and got drunk.l We were there setting in the road for two day before the national guard found enough tow trucks to tow several trucks off. We made it home with our doors tied open and signs painted on our trucks GOING HOME .Oh yeal I did get a bullet trough the sleeper. well when we got home me and several driver (Jim Johnston before OOIDA) started blocking the fuel pumps around the Kansas city area.The funny thing was I didn't own a truck to block with so I set my old Cadillac at the diesel pump and locked the doors.
    then the next thirty year my wife was my co driver and I thank her for getting me off the pill's or someone would probity found me dead beside the road some where.
    No I wouldn't change a thing it's been one hell of a roller coaster ride and I loved every minute of it. I'm just sorry I had to quite driving at age 60 due to health reasons.
    My wife on Sunday's still drives one load a week hauling mail from Little Rock to Dallas area in a six wheeler so if you see a little old Grand mother of 62 with 10 grand kid's give her a honk . (no C.b. radio).
    A few of you guy's and gal's might remember us we had a big cross on the front of our truck.
    Handles were Glorywagon , Special Angel. Before I found Jesus it was the Missouri Trouble Maker.:biggrin_25525:

PS That is when OOIDA was born 1973
    I do believe back then you had to love trucking because it was really hard trucking.Changing your own tires and very few truck stops. No a/c to power steering or air ride. It was just trucking.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  8. cpassey

cpassey Light Load Member

Great thread ! ! !:biggrin_255:

It's so nice to read positive things. Or is that THANGS?
    I really enjoy reading the posts from you guys that have been in the industry for a long time.:yes2557:
    I'm starting school on Dec.15 and hoping to go with Gordon or May.:biggrin_25525:
    I Hope to see you guys on the road sometime...
    Keep it safe!:biggrin_25517::yes2557::biggrin_255::biggrin_25520:

9. kingsson

kingsson Heavy Load Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    After only six years in this industry, I will always value the views of ANYONE who has the wealth of experience of zedanny or truckerdave. Why not? Look, folks, these are a couple guys who have EARNED whatever they want in the industry. They have worked hard and long, and could sit back on their laurels (which now have air ride!) and rest. Yet here they are on a computer website - which were science fiction when they started driving! - passing on their years of wisdom to us young pups. Then some young whipper-snapper with a superior attitude comes on and dares to criticize zedanny's "accent". Please!
    I do think too often drivers forget this is a JOB, as has been said many times already in this thread. No company is perfect, and the key is to find one that meets your needs the best. Rarely can you have plenty of home time AND plenty of miles. One or the other. Just the way it is. Seems like too many truck stop lounges are "Whine Bars". I don't go into them as a rule. I have chosen this profession because I love driving. Rude receivers and inconsiderate shippers I could live without... BUT they are part of the job! And to be honest, for every rude or inconsiderate one, there are usually a couple that do all they can to help you, load/unload you early, etc. People are people no matter where you go. I have also seen that when a driver comes in to a receiver and demands this and that, well, no wonder that receiver puts that driver on the bottom of the list. We all have jobs to do.

10. melanie

melanie Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2008
    California

I absolutely love your words of wisdom, Danny. Thank you!:smt109

zedanny Thanks this.
  11. zedanny

zedanny Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Arkansasa
    Sorry I've been out of trucking for 5 year's but I can't believe all these trucking company's had gone bad.
    I believe a lot of you driver's are expecting to much. Pick your company's better ask a lot of questions and this is a good forum to ask at. If you want to run hard and make money or you want to be home every weekend. Most of these company's has been in business longer then I can remember.There not there to cater to you but to make money.I know there is a lot of drivers with real gripes. But there a lot of you that needs just to look at your self's.Do you want to run hard and maybe fib a little on you logs.
    Then there's the driver that are 30 min. from being to your destination and shut down no hour's.
    These are the drivers that need to find you a local job where you can go home every night.
    Me now I always liked to run hard for two weeks and take 3 or 4 days off. Happy Holiday Driver

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.