No work experience for rookie trucker?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by ThisisMeUsee, Jul 23, 2018.

1. ThisisMeUsee

ThisisMeUsee Light Load Member

Mar 12, 2018
    One of my younger friends is looking into trucking and he lacks any real work experience, is there a way around this? He wants to attend a company sponsored CDL program. Their website says 3 years of work experience and I told him to put down anything such as volunteer work, but I don't know.

The thing is he already filled in his application (left the work experience section pretty much blank) and they approved him over the phone, but he's afraid once he gets to the school they are going to turn him down due to this.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. John B. Hood

John B. Hood Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2018
    Depending on how young, he could probably go through the state Workforce youth program to get a grant for his CDL. It would be better for him as he wouldn't be held hostage by whatever company trains him.

More importantly, depending on how young he is and his interest, it may be a terrible idea to get his cdl. If he's under 21, expect no work but local work. And even then it'll be sparse as most local insurances require 21, or the rates will be too high.

If he's right at 21, his only option is dry-van OTR for quick work making decent money. As a lot of high-paying jobs increase the age cap to 23 or 25 again due to insurance.

I know this first hand and is the topic of my upcoming rant. The trucking industry, especially since Harvey is not very friendly to the younger drivers. Unless he'll be happy with 600-800 a week, pulling a swift van for .38c a mile, or driving a box van around for $15/hr, it may be in his interest to wait.

Then again, the CDL alone is worth its weight in gold. Especially if he can go through the aforementioned workforce program that i'm sure is available in your state. The age cap on the program is 23 in Oklahoma, but i'm sure it's different state to state.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.