Noisy reefers

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Lonewolf2000, Mar 13, 2019.

1. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    I worked night shift for years so always slept with the fan during day sleep so I am made for reefer. Still sleep with the fan on when I am home

bzinger Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    ...and never hear your alarm also :)

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I think trucking changed me when it comes to sleep. Before becoming a truck driver, I think I would have found it difficult to sleep with any truck engine noise. Now, after watching Netflix/YouTube for one or two hours, I am ready to go to sleep. I am also able to fall asleep much faster. Sure, it probably has a lot to do with lack of sleep, irregular sleep patterns, and long working hours.

For me, it all started in the 8 weeks over-the-road with a trainer. After a couple days I was able to get some sleep while the truck was in motion. I mean, anyone who can sleep while a big and loud truck is in motion, can fall asleep almost anywhere. I’ve also always done reefer and used APUs, so they don’t bother me even a bit. Now—a truck with an air-popping sound every 10 seconds is a whole different story.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    D.Tibbitt and KB3MMX Thank this.
  5. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    You know that reefer drivers are oblivious to noise when sleeping until it becomes completely quiet and they hate to see others getting a proper rest, hopefully they do not stick it on cycle. It took a while to get used to no noise and vibrations and am going to enjoy it a bit more.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  6. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    Always set it at -10 Continuous even if the trailer is empty...... ;)

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  7. JLMooreKCMO

JLMooreKCMO Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2007
    Would you rather be back faster and hit you?

8. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    I use to place my lawn mower under my bedroom window and fire it up so I could get some sleep when I was at home.

9. Joetro

Joetro Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Post Falls, ID
    No, I'd prefer he practice backing someplace else.

10. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    Be sure to loosen the motor mounts a bit, put some glossy slippery belt dressing on the pulleys and belts so they squeal like mad. Also, remove all rubber seals from the engine access doors and bend or loosen the clamps and latches that hold them shut. Knock some holes in the muffler/exhaust while youre at it and loosen those clamps too.

11. snowbird_89

snowbird_89 Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Must be the whisper model.

D.Tibbitt and PE_T Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.