Non-Synchronous Transmissions

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by zmster2033, May 25, 2017.

1. zmster2033

zmster2033 Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Is anyone able to tell me if box trucks have non-synchronous transmissions? Looking to get some practice with one and was wondering if they are in box truck setups.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Haven't driven a box truck in a number of years, sure use to fix a lot of the 6+ transmissions in the single axle Internationals. Dumb clueless seat warmers would bend the shifting forks in them every time!! Hopefully someone will chime in that is more familiar with newer trucks. But I would say trucks smaller than class 7 are synchro, or automatic.

4. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I've driven a few Hino boxes that were not syncroed, and an older freightliner box.

Seems like most are going Auto now though.

OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Most of the straight trucks I've driven have, and it's called "synchromesh" transmissions, like a car. Every rental box truck was an automatic. I don't think you can even get a manual trans rental truck now. It isn't until you get into the heavy duty tandem axle, or a road tractor, where the non-synchromesh transmissions are. Most, if not all trucking companies have automatics now, but it wouldn't hurt to know how to shift, just in case. Not sure how you'd go about that, short of renting a truck.

OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    The M2 with a 6+1 spicer are normally non-syncro.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.