NORTH DAKOTA - Explain spread axels to em

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by bonder45, Mar 18, 2019.

1. backroadsdriver

backroadsdriver Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Ur able to work down there as a Canadian?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    Getting a work visa and setting up a company down there.

4. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Nice truck!

It doesn't look like you have spread axles, it looks like you have closed tridems on your drives and your trailer.

5. bswenseth

bswenseth Bobtail Member

Apr 21, 2019
    I'm in ND, I spent 1.5 hours with the permit office to try to figure this out. If an axle is 40+ inches away from another axle it is considered 2 axles, Max benefit is a grouping of 3 axles for a total weight on the 3 axles being 48,000lbs. On a trailer, if you add a 4th axle between 40" and 8', you will not gain any weight capacity. If that 4th axle is 8+ feet away from the grouping, you can now carry 48,000 + 20,000 more because of the extra axle.

The trick is finding a trailer that has 4 axles and under 53'. For what we haul, it would be impossible to have a stinger.

We were ticketed for not having an overweight permit. We have 7 axle rig, 1+3+3 (steer, single tag & 2 drives, 3 trailer) i can legally have 12, 45, 48 on that setup. I was weighed at 12, 42, 51. The load was non-divisable and i am unable to transfer the weight forward anymore. I am looking to switch the trailer from a hydraulic detach lowboy to a sliding axle as we haul farm machinery. If i had a sliding axle that consisted of 4 axles with a 8' spread between one grouping, I could legally haul 12,45,34,34. Has anyone seen a trailer like this? Im assuming 1 or 2 axles would need to lift and probably be steerable. Anything?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.