North Dakota oil field no experience ?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by MrIT, Jul 10, 2014.

1. McCauley

McCauley Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2013
    Is finding a job out there as an operator assistant while you have your CDL permit an unrealistic plan?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    I actually work in Ross. MBI has three main locations for their drivers, Belfield, Watford City and Ross. I like it because its an hour from Minot. As a military retiree I have BX and Commissary privilege and can save a lot of money shopping there on my day off. I also like the fact that this area is not as "busy" as Watford City or Williston, it still has most of its small-town charm.

Wild Murphy Thanks this.
  4. Wild Murphy

Wild Murphy HAPPY TRUCK DRIVER

Mar 25, 2014
    Minot is nicer than Williston also. I just do not miss the NoDak winter! Be safe.

OPUS 7 Thanks this.
  5. worldtrucker

worldtrucker Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2014
    thanks drtdevl , I didn't even know about the 24 hour reset for oilfield work this is something ive been struggling with from the start , so if I work my 70 theres only a 24 reset ,and how many hours are most of these bigger companys pulling in a shift because it looks like just 12 most seem to be running day cabs and 12 on 12 off ? are there any of them letting you get your 14 a day

6. DRTDEVL

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    I am technically 12 on 12 off, but the trucks don't always make it back to the yard, like today. It almost seems like they get back to the yard less than swapping out. We get in cars or vans and swap out on site. This site can be 30 minutes or 2 hours away, and you are on the clock while riding out to the site and back.

I popped another 14 hour night, so I am up over 70 this week, with one more night to go. I should end up with 84-85 hours this week.

7. bknight

bknight Light Load Member

May 9, 2012
    Stanley, ND
    It isn't uncommon to get over 80 hours in a week with a 5/1 schedule. But 5 days on is the max you can do with MBI at least because you need that 24 hour reset so that you are not in HOS violation. The HOS also states that after you are off the clock you are required to have 10 consecutive hours off. So if you start a 1800 and get off before 0800, you can be back to work at 1800. However, for every minute you are out passed 0800, or 14 hours after your shift starts, you will be required to push back your start time. So if you make it in at 1100, you wouldn't be legally allowed to start working or even get on the clock until 2100. Make sense?

8. King34

King34 Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Maine
    EerHey bknight,

Haven't talked to you since the pay dropped. Looks like pay has evened out and hours have stayed up where I need them. I am the one who had off road driving background growing up drilling wells and fills in slow times OTR reefer and flatbed. I had commitments tyig me here. Commitments are behind me but having trouble with white coat syndrome messing with my bp. Hopefully get this figured out soon and be headed your way to work. I'm trying to get hired locally OTR to get current bend in the middle time while applyjing out there.

9. henry4562

henry4562 Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Thinking of playing catch up myself.
    Florida work is on the increase but still lags way behind the national average for pay.
    Williston and Watford City seem to be a hot bed and cross roads.
    Can anyone tell me if these companies are following overtime laws for local drivers, within the 150 mile range ?
    Have a CDL PX and hazmat clean FMCSA, MVR and good DAQ.
    I'm guessing i'll be hired after some door knocking. Would be grateful for any other suggestions. :8)

10. DRTDEVL

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    OT laws?

Yes, I get paid OT at time and a half. Yes, we are required to follow HOS rules. Yes, we use e-logs (peoplenet).

MBI Energy, but they want a T endorsement as well for the double bottom vac/gear trucks. I have the endorsement, but I am on a standard 5th wheel vac.

11. henry4562

henry4562 Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Thanks DRT, I am applying for one of the OIL Trucker positions. What should I expect for weekly hours ??

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.