Not a bad company...

Discussion in 'YRC' started by Truck Vet, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Truck Vet

Truck Vet <strong>NRA AMA Libertarian</strong>

Aug 30, 2006
    When I went to work at Roadway a year ago I was excited. I was getting
    off a didicated route working for another trucking company and I was going back to being a delivery driver. I was all set to make the most money I ever made and still see my kids every night. I started at 15 a hour but every hour after 8 in a day was time and a half. I averaged about 11 hours a day. So during a busy time I might get 5 days and 59 hours but my average week was about 3 and about 36 hours I guess.
    Heres what I wish someone had told me before I went there:After 90 days
    as a casual driver your eligible to make the list. But 90 days go by slow if
    you average 3 days a week so you have to get your health insurance elswhere in the meantime.Not too bad for me because I have always been
    pretty healthy but not haveing health insurance for my kids was scary.
    If no slot opens up and you have your ninety days you won't get on the list.If you can get all your deliveries off and make your pick ups but someone important dosn't want you on the list..... I worked there over
    6 months half the time driveing a cabover with no power steering then
    when things got slow there I was told they didn't need me any more.
    I was disapointed, but it was kind of a relief because I never knew for
    sure if they were going to call me in at 4am, noon, or not at all. Never had to work a weekend or a holiday. The guys who signed up for them made double or tripple time. Some things may be different where your at
    different locals have different agreements. If you can handle the stress and your in good physical condition you may want to try it....
    Truck Vet

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pierce

pierce Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2007
    pasadena texas
    dont for get DAC ONE accident and your career is over,or if you ever get terminated from a trucking company
    your career is over. clear record or not does not mater.

4. latanea

latanea Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2007
    cincinnati (sharonville)
    otr at roadway is cake....

love it.

I have been a company driver with westway - dick simon - then went out on my own for several years - then roadway

the system works - and it keeps everything happy at home:biggrin_25515:

5. TSTONE

TSTONE Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2007
    MICHIGAN
    so im confused?

is roadway the company you were only avging 36hrs with that told you they didn't need you?

6. Etosha

Etosha World Citizen

Aug 19, 2007
    Edmonton, AB
    TSTONE try to keep up... they were posted by two different people - Truck Vet and Latanea! :sleepy6:

7. TSTONE

TSTONE Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2007
    MICHIGAN
    i was posting based on truckvets post - sorry i just found it confusing

it sounded like he's bagging on the company that he's saying inst that bad to work for

8. latanea

Sep 21, 2007
    cincinnati (sharonville)
    a lot of guys get laid off their first year for a few months in the winter - but that is a temporary thing... we have local guys who were laid off 2.5 months last year and they still grossed more than they did with fed ex working all 12 months.

manage your money right and the city job is cake - the OTR drivers go through the same thing most of the time - however I have never been laid off....

the secret is to keep your fingers crossed and hire on early in the year... that way the guys that hire in after you will be the first to get it...

and lest I forget - if you do get laid off all you have to do is go to your local and see what they have as far as temp work... they can usually keep you busy year round.

9. ConcreteAngel

ConcreteAngel Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Ummm, I beg to differ with you on your comment.... "if you get one accident or you ever get terminated your career is over"...Not necessarily TRUE... I have both an accident and I have been term'd before as well as have an abandonment under a load and I have no problems...There are several factors involved here:

1) What is the severity of the accident..? any equipment damaged beyond repair or too much $$$ to fix. Any injuries? Any fatalities??

2) Why were you terminated?? Any good reason??

3) Where exactly was the equipment abandoned? Was it loaded or empty... (ha.. I laugh to this day.. when the dispatcher told me that I would NEVER work again)... Ok.. was my response.. KNOWING better... :biggrin_25523:

Always depends on how bad they need drivers.. Now.. if you leave equipment or you are in accident more then once on your record, then yeah you have a problem.. there's a pattern... or you just simply can't drive and you have no business out here endangering your life and others.

I'm always straight up and honest with every recruiter out there.. And if they know anything about the company where the abandonment occurred, then they will understand what happened. Have I done it since? --NO.. Was there a load on the trailer? -- NO.. Was the equipment left on the side of the road? -- NO.. Was it dropped at their terminal -- YES... I'm not saying what has happened in my career is either bad or good and no one should follow these guidelines, however.... each and every driver out there, should get a copy of their DAC Record, just to be sure what and who is on there.

Some companies do not post and list info about their drivers on DAC, depending on the company that may be a blessing in disquise if you've had a problem with them, however, I would say it would be a good idea to list all your companies; regardless it still counts as experience!.

CA

10. latanea

Sep 21, 2007
    cincinnati (sharonville)
    concrete - did you post in wrong thread?

this was on roadway and its ins and outs...

*confused*

11. Etosha

Etosha World Citizen

Aug 19, 2007
    Edmonton, AB
    Latanea, ConcreteAngel was posting a reply to Pierce who posted earlier on in this thread... a bit off track nonetheless.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.