Not Smoking Causes Fatal Accident

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by tucker, Jan 7, 2019.

1. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    [​IMG]

Dropped cigarette leads to fatal S. Illinois crash, police

HARRISBURG, Ill. — A Southern Illinois man died Sunday afternoon after the farm tractor he was driving was hit from behind by a driver distracted by dropping his cigarette, police said.

Raymond G. Boles, 60, of Harrisburg, died after being airlifted from the scene to an area trauma center. He was driving southbound on U.S. 45 at Muddy Road, a few miles north of Harrisburg, Illinois, when struck from behind by a semi at 1:37 p.m. Sunday.

The semi was driven by Kevin S. Voelker, 56 of Omaha, Illinois, who was also southbound on 45. Voelker told Illinois State Police he had dropped an e-cigarette in the cab of his semi and was distracted when he hit Boles. Voelker was not injured.

Voelker was cited for failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident following the crash.

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Swiss Mountain Dog

Swiss Mountain Dog Medium Load Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Texas
    Aren't E-Cigarettes supposed to be heat/coal free? As in....drop it and it won't burn you or catch your car on fire??? Let it sit til you stop.

allniter, Bud A. and Badmon Thank this.
  4. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Maybe he needed a hit

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    E cigs uses heat to vaporize tobacco to finer micron than ordinary cigarettes, making you impacted via the lungs way faster and harder.

Once in a while batteries fail on them and they burn.

Bud A. and Swiss Mountain Dog Thank this.
  6. Shock Therapy

Shock Therapy Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2016
    n.cntrl il
    He certainly got one.

mjd4277, shogun, Bud A. and 3 others Thank this.
  7. weirdpuckett

weirdpuckett Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Not quite......they use an atomizer to vaporize e- liquid that also contains an amount of nicotine......the liquid is a combination of propylene glycol, and vegetable glycerin......these "chemicals" are found in ketchup, inhalers, salad dressing, toothpaste, antifreeze among others......non toxic and long since approved by FDA for consumption......

bzinger Thanks this.
  8. weirdpuckett

weirdpuckett Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2010
    As far as battery failure goes , there is a great risk IF the user tampers with the OHmS performance to such a degree as to cause unintentional thermal release from the lithium batteries......examples would be if a vape mod was coupled with a "handwound" or user- made RDA buildable deck......atomizer and the equation for proper OHMS was miscalculated.......

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  9. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Dropping a ciggarette isn't as alarming as spilling a steaming hot or icy cold drink.

A truck stop hot dog isn't a big deal, but a pulled port or brisket sandwich hitting the floor is akin to the end of the world senerio.

Lepton1, intrepidor, not4hire and 4 others Thank this.
  10. Badmon

Badmon Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Deep south
    I've had this situation happen to me several times with my e-cig and this is exactly what I did with the exact same thought process. Seems rather simple. Hard for me to grasp why Mr. Voelker didn't come to the same conclusion. One time I was niccing pretty bad and had dropped my e-cig in the truck while driving I-285 Northbound in good ol' Atlanta traffic. Pulled my ### right over to the shoulder before I even considered looking around for it while rolling

Swiss Mountain Dog and Bud A. Thank this.
  11. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    No excuse. That section of road is 4 lanes (2 each way) with a good size shoulder. Sad, because the guy died and the nearly 80 year old tractor he was driving (1960 MF) is trashed. Trucker is charged with "failure to reduce speed", which is crap. If he had dropped his cell phone, he'd be strung up by the nuts. Distracted driving is distracted driving, and it shouldn't matter if it was a cell phone or an e-cig...he allowed himself to be distracted, and he killed somebody.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.