Not sure what I should choose between two jobs

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TankerYanker36, Sep 21, 2022.

1. TankerYanker36

TankerYanker36 Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    I have a start date for a new job at fuel hauling company that delivers to Chevron. From my research, pay is decent but benefits not so great. Local route.

While waiting for my start date I recieved a call for an interview with USPS for Class A driver. So I'm excited but conflicted. It's a federal job so obviously great benefits. But I'm not so sure what the pay is and can't find much at all about the salary.

I'm going to go to the interview and try to learn as much as possible about the position. If I somehow get lucky and they offer me the job, I'm wondering if I should take it. But that would mean possibly burning a bridge with the company that just hired me. Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    fuel deliveries?

tight stations, sometimes small gas stations, traffic, ignorant drivers that will not let you into the stations. working outdoors in all sorts of weather

USPS..??

good benefits, pay is low to start, very good equipment, usually terminal to terminal, OT when it's there, especially holiday seasons.

if it were me, i'd go USPS, and stay cool or warm and most certainly DRY.......

4. TankerYanker36

Mar 19, 2014
    Well that's highly appreciated haha thanks for the prospective. Yeah that's what my concern was, the low pay to start. But You helped me remember all the other things that comes along with the other choice lol.

5. rockeee

rockeee Medium Load Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Kalama, Wa
    Is the USPS job actually with them or through somebody that is contracted to them?

6. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    How low? Is it so low that you can't make a living? I can't imagine that the pay would be too low to make a living. I wouldn't so much be concerned about the here and now if you can pay your bills with what they are offering. What's it going to look like 5 years from now? Maybe the raises will get you where you want to be in that amount of time or less.

7. Another Canadian driver

Another Canadian driver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2021
    ALBERTA
    USPS - YES.
    Any fuel deliveries - THANKS, BUT NO THANKS.

austinmike and TankerYanker36 Thank this.
  8. TankerYanker36

Mar 19, 2014
    Yeah good point. From what little I can find it I see an average of 50-60k to start. Whereas with Fuel Delivery it's paying between 80-90k to start. So if it will take 5 years to get to 80k that's still a pretty long time. But as you said it's more worth it. I can still work on making money in a different field as a side venture.

9. TankerYanker36

Mar 19, 2014
    Yes it's employed directly through USPS

10. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    and this from you in your first posting...

I have a start date for a new job at fuel hauling company that delivers to Chevron

meaning, it is a contract job, which can be lost with the snap of a finger.

the USPS, is for life, unless you screw up.

you can always transfer to an inside job later in life if you want, for easier work

can't do that with a contractor that has to bid on that contract every xx number of years...

USPS...job security

Fuel contractor for Chevron........hold you thumb up your butt for your future.

11. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    That's a doable salary, but if you factor the cost of benefits, it's really a wash. You got the right idea though

TankerYanker36 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.