Notice of being sued

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Trucker2307, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

Best advice in this whole thread...

"Get a lawyer, now"
    "Stop talking about it on the internet. It can an could come back to haunt you."
    "Get a dash cam, for CYA"

That whole right to remain silent thing? It applies in situations like this also. ;)

More people end up in jail or screwed in court for two reasons...the top lip an the bottom lip won't stop opening.

I personally don't think you've said anything to really screw yourself, but then I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on Tv, film, or the internet. One never knows though. The only person who is going to look out for you, is you.

Pretty ####ty of the other person to attempt this. Console yourself with this thought..Karma has a way of finding you sooner or later..that person will get theirs eventually.

Do be sure to let us know if things change, or how they turn out. I'm hoping you get a decent lawyer ( I said decent, not honest..ha!) an manage to get dropped from the suit or at lest get it tossed out.

Good luck to ya. One needs it whenever dealing with Lawyers, idiots, and court rooms. ;)

Sirscrapntruckalot - Trust me, I'm a lawyer. - One of the funniest things a lawyer can say.

25(2)+2, not4hire and Lepton1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Show up to court in a neck brace.

4. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    You got it man. When I saw this thread it kinda hit home for me. I will say I decided to add 2 mil in umbrella insurance coverage this year. That was not cheap but after that experience I felt like I should try and learn from it and realize that if something actually bad ever happened then I need to have coverage in place not to lose everything Ive worked for. It does happen.

5. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Logs should be long gone.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    To the op, the lawsuit would also include the company you drove for which means they have to talk to you or you talk to them about it. It is their insurance company that has to be involved and they will talk to you about it. I would have a lawyer also involved tomorotect you really interests.

Lepton1 and buddyd157 Thank this.
  7. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Call for an ambulance to give you a ride there too.

8. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Sure is a money grab. Throwing stuff at the wall hoping some will stick. Bit of advice, in the future get your own dash cam and when things happen and possible, get your phone and take pictures fast as you can. I wouldn't sweat this much, far as info seems.

Midwest Trucker and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  9. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Yup, but payroll records and vehicle maintenance records, etc. still exist.

Spoiliation = destruction of items related to the accident.

Most 'Cat Loss' teams from insurance companies get the tractor ECM downloaded to prevent the other party from crying Spoiliation.....it is real.

stillwurkin and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Your correct. But this one don't think was catastrophic. At least not yet, dust is trying to be kicked up.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Remember, every picture is 'discoverable'; meaning that the other side gets a copy of everthing deemed discoverable...

Take lot's of pictures but skip any showing blood, guts & gore.

Get the other vehicles view approaching the scene from as far away as possible & shoot more as you walk back.

Squat down so your camera is at the other motorist's eye level.

If another commercial vehicle get the door signs and license plate, you never know whenthe PD report gets this incorrect!

My example must have been a rookie trooper.

We had a sheet of ice from another trailer take out a windshield this winter. The other truck stopped. The trooper failed to cite him under the NJ laws, took the report info and let us roll off the next exit avoiding the double expense of paying for the extortionary prices charged by the chosen few who bought turnpike towing contracts just to go a couple miles.

Two weeks later I pay the money to get the report and our unit is shown as another carrier's unit instead of Penske and the other unit belonging to 'Bergey's Truck Center' instead of the carrier and no pictures of the door signs so we ate the tow back and the windshield....get all the info you can!

Personally I run a dash cam after a trailer waiting at a stop sign rolled back and tried to say I hit him...Next time I can say "officer would you like to see the video?????"

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.