Notre Dame spire burns and collapses.

Discussion in 'Other News' started by MACK E-6, Apr 15, 2019.

1. BCV

BCV Light Load Member

May 26, 2018
    No accident...the most preserved and protected Cathedral in all of Europe...and on the first day of Holy Week?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Speaking of which... A group of Muslim kids commit Arson inside the Dome of the Rock in J'Lem (Israel) at about the same time Dame caught fire today. The Mosque has a sort of a rapid response fire fighting team that took care of it right quick

At the present time I am half tempted to laugh off conspiracy theory until proven otherwise. That's not what we are here for. HOWEVER... that kind of thinking is like a seed when I apply the once is happenstance, twice is coincidence and perhaps a third time is true enemy action. What's next? Our National Cathedral goes up in a pyre maybe? Or the Mormon in Salt Lake or some other big church? I refuse to consider it.

Jerusalem's Al-Aqsa Mosque burns at the same time as fire engulfs Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

Dave_in_AZ and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  4. BCV

BCV Light Load Member

May 26, 2018
    Laugh it off... There has been a string of attacks very recently on French churches.
    A fire at St. Sulpice March 31
    Aveyron’s Saint Jean des Balmes was vandalized
    Teenagers urinating into holy water at the Villeneuve de Berg church in Ardeche
    There's your 3 times.. Before today.
    I'm not a conspiracy theorist but I seek truth not force fed from MSM.
    If Pearl Harbor happened today the Main Stream Media would try and blame it on a fire in a ships ammunition hold. The media is the propaganda wing for enemies of western culture.

JC1971, spyder7723, Dave_in_AZ and 2 others Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Your thought sparked another for my thinking about this.

France paid to build the thing, to fix it and so on. Apparently that is what they are doing. The very stones are approaching structural failure. You cannot have that in the Flying Buttress Design that this particular church was the first to build that technology. Take away the exoskeleton so to speak and the walls must come down. Hopefully not on 3000 people inside the place or whatever.

France forgot one important thing. Fire protection. As in sprinkler or halon gas style system. In the tavern growing up when it was time for me to learn how to kill then steam crabs using gas stoves that are fed by three one inch gas lines I was also taught how to take the pin out of the gas equipped fire interceptor and slap the red button. It's idiot proof. Followed by instruction number three. You want out anyway you can get out. Because that gas takes away oxygen and it will kill you too. Had the same thing on one engine off a small tank in the trunk.Puts it right out. Normally engines don't catch fire.

Anyway.

France screwed up. They failed to put in a fire fighting stand pipe and the associated system into the entire building. They are on a freaking Island surrounded by two rivers and change and failed to retrofit sprinkler system. Im assuming it only costs a billion dollars (/satire) to put one into a building full of priceless stuff and apparently even more valuable people. France does own the place, lock stock and barrel right? And tsk, they should have put in some form of fire fighting that is ready to go at a moment's notice 24/7

I fought fires before. I probably would have ended up being a engine man supporting water lines if I had gone that route. Being deaf next to a howling 600 horse 2200 torque pumper would be a good thing. It don't hurt me none as long they get the water enough to fight.

But France? They lost the place because they failed to bring it up to code. It would have been expensive to do it yes. But if they had done so, we would be scraping water out of the pews by now and possibly be ready for Easter services.

If that place has any organzied services at all. I suggest they hold it there and then in the field or town square. Let's celebrate the easter. Never mind that destruction etc.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  6. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    Doesn’t mean diddly. You can’t rebuild something that was original and that many years old. Doesn’t have same meaning. They can build a replica but it does not hold the same value if you know what I mean.

buddyd157, spyder7723 and tommymonza Thank this.
  7. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    so it was made by wood )))))))))))) holly ####. I was thinking it was made by stone...

8. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Outer walls are stone as are some interior ones and supports, but the inner framing and roof supports are wood.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    buddyd157 and mhyn Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It is. The stone is internal skeleton made by a 50 hectacre Forest of hardwood trees that was cut sometime during 1100 AD. They fought and saved two towers that carried wooden frames. If these had caught, there would be falling stone all over the place.

However the Flying Buttresses to the main walls that were invented and installed for the very first time in the 1200's did their job and held the place somewhat.

Interior photos, credit to those who took them. First up.

Credit to: Cristina Correa Freile pic.twitter.com/s2YHh2kgZr

Saved church.jpg

25(2)+2 and buddyd157 Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
  11. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Maybe The Rapture is upon us.

buddyd157 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.