Now they want trailer side bumpers

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Snailexpress, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Bad weather took one more life in Utah by semi truck. Public got angry to the truckers.
    http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43282542&nid=148&title=crash-on-icy-i-15-kills-clarkston-man

WILLARD, Box Elder County — A Cache County man was killed early Thursday when he lost control of his car and was hit twice by the same semitrailer and ended up underneath the truck.

Austin L. Taylor, 28, of Clarkston, was traveling south on I-15 about 5:20 a.m. when he lost control of his car on the icy road, spun off the road into the cable barrier, and then bounced back into traffic where he was broadsided by a FedEx semitrailer, according to Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Todd Royce.

The impact from that collision tossed the car into the concrete barrier, which in turn spun the car back into traffic where it ended up underneath the FedEx truck.

Public comments ......... may have seen the same report I saw. Europe has skirting that does stop cars from going under trucks from the side. A family in the US who lost a daughter to a similar crash is asking for regulations to require protective skirting to make it less likely a car would go under trucks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    That fellow whom has been asking for the bumpers is in for a long fight. Yet it still doesnt fix the idiots whom drive 4 wheelers and expect the truckers to keep them safe for their bad driving habits.

4. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    No they don't.
    They are very light and only designed to stop bicycles.

5. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    i tell anyone who wants to complain about trucks if you dont wanna get run over by a fed ex truck dont use fed ex, thats probably the same kinda person who would complain that they didnt get their fed ex pkg on time, its the mentality of idiot america, ya know who dont have these problems, the amish, but who wants to be like those nut jobs, lets consume stuff and get run over by the trucks hauling all the crap we consume then complain about it lol talk about idiot america. its like drivers who complain about loud reefers in a truckstop, dont want loud reefers dont eat so much and they will go away lol i dont understand what people expect. its like talking about racing and safety, ya kno whats safe, not driving 200 mph inside of concrete walls lol talking about safety in trucking is like them talking about the superbowl before the game on tv, its just all talk and nobody has a clue whats gonna happen, just a whole lot of speculation and wasted time listening to someone talk about things and offer no solution. and i just offered a solution but its not what people want to hear, because we aint gonna go without in this country so on we go. i talk about living a simpler life and i get called dave ramsey, oh well good luck, maybe we should just make cars and trucks like bumper cars so we can all bounce off one another lol

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    Bob Dobalina, Eowyn, A21CAV and 5 others Thank this.
  6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Reefers wouldn't be so bad if people would maintain them. But so many don't so they run wide open and rattle all night long. And no matter how empty the parking lot is, that guy will park right beside me.

Socal Xpress Thanks this.
  7. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    i parked next to a guy the other day in the back, he moved and prob wondered why i had to park next to him, it was a good spot so i could get out in the middle of the nite without gettn blocked in. and even new maintained carriers seem loud to me, but when i have a squeak or a rattle i do try an find where its comin from and silence it. some of these belt squealin apus arent much better but what do ya do. i do try an park away from others, i dont like to be the guy in the quiet campground with the loud generator spittin and sputtering, lol

8. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    That means I'm only 2 spaces away. Stop over and say hello.

lilillill and spyder7723 Thank this.
  9. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    wouldnt a small light car bounce like a pin ball with 'side bumpers'? Did the cable guard rail fail, aren't they designed to absorb an impact?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  10. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    The light car was going TOO fast. Wouldnt it have been better if the idiot in the car took his foot off the accelerator and just SLOWED THE FRIK DOWN! Why do we the truckers have to be blamed because some idiot decided the best way to drive that four wheeler was to glue his foot to the floor?

Ooops and xhilar Thank this.
  11. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Don't you tell him how to drive. He knew what he was doing and he drove that way all the time. Everyone else is just a bunch of crybaby ####### that are scared of the snow.

lovesthedrive, Big Don and spyder7723 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.