NPGA CETP Certification, Did not get NFPA books

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by waveform, May 27, 2016.

1. waveform

waveform Light Load Member

Feb 21, 2014
    California
    I took a two day class this week and was suppose to get the NFPA 54/58 Handbooks. The instructor said two boxes didn't come in from UPS so me and another guy in the class were missing ours. I took the test without it which I think was a bunch of BS and totally unprofessional, not to mention the fact that we had one day to study 8 chapters. I thought this stuff was about learning safely, not cramming it it all in one night. It's bad enough the government mandates a zillion codes, but then these books are expensive to obtain on top of that. I'm kind of pissed off I didn't get one, and my employer never provided one prior to the test. I'm very confident I passed though.

I have a second test I need to complete with my employer in order to finish this certification, but I don't know how to use the book because the instructor never went over the books with the class. I would like to think that the National Fire Protection Association, EPA (who create private, copyrighted, standards).. ect are about public safety, but when I see price tags of over $100 bucks for a paper back book, I makes me think it's just another private owned organization trying to make a profit. If these codes are for public safety, shouldn't the books be free or at least less expensive? http://catalog.nfpa.org/NFPA-58-LP-Gas-Code-Handbook-2014-Edition-P16380.aspx?order_src=B574&order_src=B574&gclid=CML81ZjI-cwCFU9cfgodotMLcw

Is there anywhere to obtain these books for free since I got screwed and never got one?

Thanks

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Nfpa is a private organization so their publications are copyrighted material. The EPA under law can not copyright their material, as the case with every federal agency. If it is an EPA published document, then it should be accesable to the public or cheap to get through the government printing office.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.