NTP warranty, Penske Truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Khukha, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Khukha

Khukha Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2017
    9CA94753-76EE-4009-B6FB-8629DA7BE714.png DE5106E3-EC02-4D2B-A3D7-0B6E50564874.png Hey guys.
    I’m in process of buying a used truck from Penske, it’s 2014 Freightliner Cascadia 421,000 miles with DD15 engine 455HP, Manual Eaton 10 speed. They offer NTP warranties engine, transmission and after treatment (see in pics) altogether it cost around $7000 for 200k engine and 100k transmission and 200k after treatment component. Deductible is $250 per occurrence.
    Should I buy it or leave it? Anyone has/had any experience? Please help.
    Or is there any other warranty offers available, please share.

And truck still has 5 months or 78000 engine warranty left.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Movingismylifeilovemoving

Movingismylifeilovemoving Light Load Member

Aug 5, 2015
    I don't have any experience with NTP but I purchased the premium 2000 warranty when I bought a truck with 435,000 miles and 9 months in they covered a turbo and VGT actuator.

Mooseontheloose and Ken Trucking Thank this.
  4. Ken Trucking

Ken Trucking Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Thanks can you tell me turbo and VGT actuator how much those cost without warranty?

5. Movingismylifeilovemoving

Aug 5, 2015
  6. Movingismylifeilovemoving

Aug 5, 2015
    They required maintenance intervals and documents to back it up

7. Smart Trucker Girl

Smart Trucker Girl Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2019
    The deductible for approved after treatment repairs is $500.

8. Smart Trucker Girl

Mar 19, 2019
    NTP does not cover actuators. Also, Premium and NTP are one company now.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I am inclined not to deal with these kinds of plans. It's almost the Dealer is making a bet something will burn up soon in that truck and somehow its yourn fault. So they offer these plans in which if you go all in (I loved that discrimination against 13 speeds, come on a skilled trucker knows how to shift them...) they stand to rake in thousands of dollars over what you probably are expecting to pay anyway. If you cannot somehow have that purchase price lowered in negotiating to where these additional costs can be included without the dealer making a dollar off it... or you... then maybe.

I bought a truck once, in those days I went over it very carefully and drove it and it was such a sweetheart. Looking back on those old FLD's today I might have gotten 3 years out of it and would have to replace it then. That little kitty was great (425 or so) but not that great when you wheel out the big horsis at 515, 550 on up.

I don't know if I ever want to attempt to buy a truck today because fleets seriously abuse them and throw them away to auction rode hard and put up wet with no love or care lavished on them at all.

Mooseontheloose Thanks this.
  10. Smart Trucker Girl

Mar 19, 2019
    Used trucks today are a nightmare to get into. Cummins engines have the catastrophic camshaft and fuel pump failures along with the carbon packing issue.

DD engines have the catastrophic over fueling injector failures along with fuel pump failures that put metal through the fuel system. Also, don't forget their chronic and expensive one box failures.

D13 and MP8 engines have the catastrophic gear train failure along with the chronic fuel injector cup and fretted cylinder head failures.

Navistar engines....where do I start?

All of these engines have serious after treatment system issues too. The one-box issue mentioned above, DPFs, EGR system, DEF system, etc.

11. Smart Trucker Girl

Mar 19, 2019
    Also, this thread was also about Penske used trucks. Please understand, if these trucks were still making Penske money, then they wouldn't be getting rid of them.

And after you've driven your truck off the lot or had it delivered by Penske, you're on your own.

Good luck trying to contact your salesman when your truck goes into derate on your very first load.

And good luck on getting help from NTP for a "preexisting condition".

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.