NW LTL 2 Axle Linehaul Tractors...

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by snowlauncher, Nov 9, 2018.

1. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    I'm sure that any and all of you LTL drivers would agree with me that it makes absolutely no sense from a safety and productivity standpoint to primarily run 2 axle tractors on linehaul runs in the NW, primarily the Rocky Mts... Yet, for most of the large fleet LTL carriers in my area of the NW, 3 axle tractors are few and far between!
    I'm sure this has been a long standing complaint from drivers who run in a place where winter and snowy weather can last 8 months of the year. I know that chaining up is part of the job when needed, but its frustrating to be out in the cold throwing iron, or spun out on a hill while the twin screws are blowing by with no trouble...
    I'm not whining about my job, and I'm not scared to chain, even though it can be a hassle. I just wanted to get a rant going and see what other drivers have to say about this. Good luck and be safe out there this winter!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I guess you are a former CF’R with your profile pic. CF Motor Freight was my first trucking job in the mid 80’s and I loved the place. I think your legitimate concern in your post is more about not having the correct options on the single axle. I crossed the Rockies every week from Denver to Salt Lake on I-70 in a Buster Brown tandem sleeper without full lockers, but with the standard locking diff. I also ran Pa. or Buffalo NY twice a week in a single axle daycab with full lockers. Both trips I saw a fair amount of snow many weeks. If I had to pick the better pulling truck in the snow it would be the single axle with full lockers which I felt had a better grip in the snow. The rig I built, own and operate now is a tandem with full lockers and diff lock. It pulls like a snow cat in the snow, but I paid for it not some bean counter. Just my opinion and 31 years playing in the snow on occasion.

25(2)+2, speedyk, Bob Dobalina and 2 others Thank this.
  4. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    I'm not a former CF driver, I'm employed with XPO freight, which was formerly Con-way freight. A company which was a division of CF. After CF liquidation, Con-way carried on successfully for a number of years prior to the buy out.
    I have a CF train as my profile pic because my late grandfather was a terminal manager for CF a number of years at a local facility. I am familiar with some of the history of CF and the way they revolutionized the freight industry, especially in the LTL field. I just like the pic of a classic COE hooked to a train!

Shaggy, Banker, Mike2633 and 1 other person Thank this.
  5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I think it's more of a fuel saver decision then anything else.

And they probably only pull lightweight freight to not need tandems.

Only things i can think of.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  6. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Wal-Mart has a sale on cheese to go along with all that wine

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Walmart getting black friday started?

8. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    ABF I noticed is going tandem axle there new Kenworths are all twinscrews, unless unless those are drop axle trucks, but I've seen some new ABF Kenworths and they have two axles back there.

Banker and snowlauncher Thank this.
  9. dieselViking

dieselViking Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2016
    Massachusetts
    I've never had an issue driving single screw in the snow.

I've had more trouble with twin screws, we run so light, not enough weight to push both those axles down.

10. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Another bad part of single screws is when they send p&d guys out in them pulling a van to pick up 40,000# loads. Estes has been known to do that to their drivers in my neck of the woods.

11. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    WTF kind of freight can you haul with single screw. I haul LTL and never under 90k. They always top off my load with beer or ore totes

Mike2633 and snowlauncher Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.