NYC/Long Island/Boston GPS

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by dagmax, Apr 9, 2020.

1. dagmax

dagmax Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2018
    To any drivers with lots of experience in these areas, is there a GPS brand/model that you trust over the others? Any other general guidance for driving in these areas would also be appreciated. Thank you!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    NO.

You plan that NYC and 5 boroughs area VERY CAREFULLY.

If you had a physical address in that area where you are going you can generally but not always get the street view on google earth including surrounding streets and their signage. Work back to nearest Bridge you are coming in off of.

Everyone sings the blues about big sky wyoming. But we go over NYC and it's area as if it's a military invasion. Or escape.

4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    You can get the paper Rand McNally Truckers Road Atlas. I'm not sure how good their GPS if it has all the low bridge location. I would call for directions.
    NYC measure the bridge hight from the curb. The famous thing it you will see on I-278 is sign say trucks get off because of low over hang. You can really fit under it or just move over to center lane. Don't get off you will be in Queens city streets. Don't get on Parkways in NY they have low bridges
    IMG_20200410_133806997.jpg

x1Heavy and HoneyBadger67 Thank this.
  5. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    I cannot speak to Boston.

HOWEVER, I helped to develop the truck route choices IN NYC on the Rand McNally brand GPS maps back in 2013-2015. We had a veteran driver as a beta tester who drives his entire career in the 5 Burroughs. Over a 2-year period we used the NYC truck route map and this particular driver to iron all on the wrinkles out on their maps. So what I am saying is that at that time the Rand maps were VERY accurate in terms of staying on truck routs inside of NYC. I cannot speak whatever to their hardware or to what it looks like today because they shut down the beta program and the engineering team changed a couple years ago.

In addition, NYC has a very good online resource to keep you on truck routes. It also has detailed PDF maps that you can download and they will send you paper copies for free. See that info HERE: NYC DOT - Truck Routing

tscottme, dunchues and DUNE-T Thank this.
  6. dagmax

dagmax Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2018
    Thanks for the awesome replies. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it. Great resources guys, many thanks!

7. MTN Boomer

MTN Boomer Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2019
    You can buy maps of the 5 areas of NYC,they are like a smaller Rand Mc has a detailed street view, the web site is helpful with good info about routes and what is required for Manhattan

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    A complete collection of maps for NYC and surrouding areas down to alley way details with direction of travel arrows and so forth is about 200 dollars in 1980's money. Pre internet pre computer pre cell phone anything. It was my most valuable possession for NYC.

Hunts point is not the problem. Its when you are sent to say Atlantic Ave in Brooklyn.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.