NYS unable to issue me permit because of old unpaid NH ticket?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BlueThunderr, Jan 17, 2019.

1. BlueThunderr

BlueThunderr Medium Load Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Well, I passed the test for my CDL permit today in NY but because I had an unpaid traffic ticket in NH from 2011 I could not get my permit...I know the ticket was like either $500 or $750....

My question is....Is there a statute of limitations when it comes to old traffic tickets ?

NY told me I have to get NH to clear my license in the National Base or something...Obviously if I legally don't have to pay it I would prefer not to as it's a fairly steep cost for me right now.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    My guess would be a license is a privilege.......pay up.

4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    No. No statute of limitations on MV violation tickets (generally speaking). Don't know what to tell you. States like to work with each other to collect long past due fines and this is one way they do it. And one that size they are not going to forget about.

misterG Thanks this.
  5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    it may be a possibility, that interest has been tacked on over the years..i think a "general" interest rate is like 18%..??

and i do not believe that's a yearly interest rate, but a monthly one......

then late fee's, collection fee's,etc.

you would be better served to call them in the morning, and settle this.

this can and most likely will take a few weeks to clear up....

they ain't gonna move mountains for you now....

6. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    $500 or $750 then. Traffic fines are kind of like savings bonds. The longer you leave them alone without doing anything, the greater they mature. Don't know about a permit. I'd be surprised if you even have a valid 4 wheeler license anymore.

7. BlueThunderr

Sep 11, 2012
    I moved out of NH in 2011 to NY and have held a valid license in NY since I got here

8. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

You might want to get an MVR at the DMV/DPS to verify your license is still active. Some drivers have been surprised to find out their CDL was invalid when an officer checked it at a weigh station. It’s one of the reasons why motor carriers check their drivers’ CDL routinely.

9. BlueThunderr

Sep 11, 2012
    I don't have a CDL

10. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I know. In your case, the MVR for your driver’s license.

11. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Yes you have to pay it. New Hampshire most likely suspended your driving privileges, which for non-cdl licenses is not a big deal if you never go back there. For CDL if you are suspended in one state you are suspended everywhere, meaning NY can't issue your CDL permit because you don't have a legal right to a CDL until New Hampshire is paid and restores your driving privledge.

You may want to get a MVR as suggested above and keep letters from settling the unpaid parking ticket, many companies will not want to hire you with a suspension on your record without a good reason.

misterG Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.