O/O Insurance

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by squirt552, Dec 27, 2006.

1. squirt552

squirt552 Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2006
    There is probably a thread for this question, but I do not have all day to surf for it so if any of you long timers can direct me I would appreciate it. If not, We take delivery of our new truck in Jan. and are currently getting quotes from many different companies for insurance. What are your opinions on good, bad and ugly insurance companies? Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jack5

jack5 Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2005
    garland,tx
    Are you getting your own authority or leasing to a carrier? IF you have your own authority then insurance rates are from 8-10k a year. IF you are leasing to a carrier than they usually will have the lowest quotes which are around 3k a year. I would check out True North insurance out of Cedar Rapids,Ia. I am using them now and their rates and coverage are pretty decent.

4. squirt552

squirt552 Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2006
    thanks. I have talked with OOIDA and they seem a little high. We are leasing to a carrier so all we need is non trucking liability(bobtail) and physical damage and occupational.

5. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    Squirt is right. However I'd contact and agent for Canal or Carolina as we have used them both for years. We've never had any problems with them, Insurance is always going to be high. The claim ratio at a company is what normally determines the rate that you will pay.
    We've had no claims no accidents, we are a HAZ MAT carrier and ours is between $8-10,000 per year. You also have to take in consideration the amount that you cover the truck for. Don't over insure it because the bottom line is if it's totaled out 3 seconds after you drive it off the lot, the insurance company is only going to pay current market value on the truck not what is actually owed.

6. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    Find an agent for Great West Casualty.

They've done me and my brother right.

7. squirt552

squirt552 Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Thanks I have checkd true north and was going to look into Great west, they are the company that the company I currently drive for uses. I will also check out Canal and Carolina. It seems the ones that are good and have the best rates are not the ones they advertise in the trucking mags. Thanks for the info. Happy New Year to all

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.