O-o looking for carrier

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by bildtstar, Jul 12, 2018.

1. bildtstar

bildtstar Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2012
    I'm in southern sk, leased to a carrier but my time here seems to be up. Growing irritations.
    Looking for something else, preferably this region but western Canada is good too. Newer WS, 80.000 lb so no doubles, and i've never done flatdeck ( but willing to learn). Out longer periods preferred, i am quite flexible- but i don't deal very well with sitting.
    I know this game will not make me rich; i just want to make a decent living, without the feeling i'm being ripped.
    Would prefer something Landstar- like, but they don't seem to have enough cross- border freight. More info on that would be appreciated.

I am not looking for a discussion. I just hope for practical tips and for names. Eternal glory will be your reward.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    ATS, Mercer, Del Taura, Britton, Wally Cash, Decker,Andrus,or Doug Andrus?

bildtstar Thanks this.
  4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Do you have your own trailer?

5. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Select Classic Carriers out of Saskatoon? I honestly don't know anything about them other than they just hauled a load for me from southern Florida to Calgary. The driver seemed on-the-ball, reasonably happy and very busy.

Another is JCH Contracting and Transport, originally from Balzac, but now with their head office in Cheyenne, WY. Mostly ex-Landstar and/or Admiral Merchants O/Os. I've worked with the primary owner and some of the other drivers and found them all to be good, stand-up people.

6. bildtstar

bildtstar Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2012
    No, but i could buy one. Have been looking at buying a Tautliner because of more flexibility ( a decent one is hard to find though) but there seems to be little interest.

7. bildtstar

bildtstar Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Thanks for rhe replies. Trying to sort my options at the moment.

8. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Is that the flatbed that has the quick draw automatic tight fitting curtains on the sides? That's what I would use, if not a flat or step, for western Canada. I am in the reefer game out of ON and honestly I have no idea how food gets delivered to MB/SK. There is never any outbound posted and I have no clue as to who to call or even what commodity for outbound from there. So when I get the odd phone call when I am in a produce region asking if I can go to there I tell them a rate of 4.50+ usually. Have never delivered there, lol...

9. bildtstar

bildtstar Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2012
    I don't really know since i run van now, but outfits like H&R will have a stiff grip on the market i guess...and a lot of guys are fighting for the same thing; meat down, Cal- produce back up. That of course isn't good for rates..

To answer your tautliner- question: see image. You could even semi-debachables.jpg get them with insulating curtains and a reefer, the Spanish used to haul oranges with rhem...but i suppose European regulations killed that because i can't find pictures.
    Over here you can't haul food grade in them because shippers seem to want a...fixed roof. Coldwaterfear i suppose. .

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  10. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    A China top has a fixed roof (same as a regular curtainside?). Outfit in Lethbridge or Magrath builds them (I can't remember the name, but it wouldn't be hard to find, they're well known. I was going to buy a couple for a different application a bunch of years ago.)

bildtstar Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.