O/O tax write off

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by mitmaks, Feb 25, 2019.

1. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    Doing my taxes and trying to remember if I've missed anything else. I got tolls/fuel/tires/parts/repairs. Any tools I've bought to work on my truck. Anything else?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Anything and everything related to the business of making money. Including pens, stationery, computer, Software,etc

Joetro and mitmaks Thank this.
  4. mitmaks

May 16, 2014
    Yeah, but I can't write off gas going to and from work

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. USMC '74-'78 Semper Fi

USMC '74-'78 Semper Fi Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Mount Union, PA
    A reasonable about of space for a home office. I claim a 10' x 10' or 100 sf which is about 7.5% of the total sf of our home. Based on the 7.5%, I've claimed 7.5% of the property taxes, insurance, mortgage interest etc...

Additionally, a precent of the internet, cellphone, and electric is also claimed.

We've filed this way following our tax advisor direction since opening the business on July 2013.

I also claim all food, coffee, and other eats/drinks or supplies I need while on the road.

We have a separate checking account for the business that is strictly used for the business and this account is very helpful for taxes. If its a purchase in this account, its a business related expense. KISS Hope this helps... Tks, PK

6. SoCalRed

SoCalRed Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    CA
    Why don't you just hire a good CPA familiar with the trucking industry?
    You'll save $200-300 doing it on your own, but the deductions you'll miss will cost you more than that.
    "I got tolls/fuel/tires/parts/repairs. Any tools I've bought to work on my truck. Anything else?"
    Equipment depreciation, per diem for everyday you were on the road....

7. mitmaks

May 16, 2014
    Got all that already

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Don't forget the cost of an accountant to do your taxes right, that is a deduction.

9. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Taking the home office deduction is fine but remember:

The space has to be EXCLUSIVELY used for business. If you store any personal items there, or use it for a guest room, it does not qualify.

Any depreciation of the home office must be re-captured when selling a home.

10. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Back in 1991 during an audit where I got screwed HARD. I was told as a trucker without authority, home office is a red flag for examine closer. Havent used it since, dont no if its still that way. Just not worth it to find out.

11. tompetty69

tompetty69 Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2015
    TX Panhandle
    Yes it shows to still be a red flag so I don't take a chance. My deduction for a home office would be next to nothing anyway.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.