O/O's: My experience with Double Coin Tires and fuel mileage

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by twolane, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Ok....I'm gonna pizz off you happy campers here....
    I purchased tires for my old ten-wheeler back in '06...all Double-Coin.....
    The drives wore terrible.....
    I had them rotated and and they still wore terrible.......

Now the dealer claimed that the bushing were worn....But I had the Kingpins replaced bushings too, the front end and the rears aligned....before I bought new tires......

Bottom line....You get what you pay for.....Chinese products are Sheyat!!!!!!!!

Your tires are all that's between you and the road......Do you actually want to trust your life by buying the cheapest tires out there?

Come on people....These are the same people who put glycol in toothpaste, lead in baby food, and melamine in dog food.....Get a clue......

Ky Flash Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    Yes there are ethical reasons , business reasons, safety reasons,common sense and patriotic reasons for not buying Chinese items.
    The truth been that most of the better quality items coming out of ROC are manufactured in facilities designed and operated in conjunction with western multinationals.We all know this is true.The quality dilemma is the easiest to debunk as it is somewhat objective.They make a lot of Cr#P and some good stuff.Bridgestone , Goodyear,Michelin all by alliance manufacture tires in ROC and brand them under Chinese names.

larry2903 Thanks this.
  4. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

If American tire manufacturers would stand behind their tires I would not buy anything else. I have yet to have a U.S. tire manufacturer to warranty any problem that I have had with one of their tires. I will NEVER buy another Goodyear or Kelly tire. I had a problem with 3 Goodyear tires and they would not warranty them. One dealer where I tried to get it warrantied told me that the reason was that I had driven it flat on a steer tire. You CAN'T drive flat on a steer tire. I also had 9 our of 10 Kelly tires on another truck that had cracked sides. The dealer said that I probably curbed them and that is why they would not stand behind them.

I have had to warranty 2 Double Coin tires. Both were taken care of with NO questions asked. They will take care of things the first year without much ado. When American tire companies start to do that then I may consider changing. Another thing is that Double Coin costs about half of what these others want to charge. I don't think that they are worth paying double for tires that may not be as good as something that cost half.

I have been experimenting with different tire brands for more than a decade. I can get about as good, or sometimes better, wear from the no name or cheaper tires as I can with the major brands. In fact, some of the less expensive tires are actually made by the big tire companies or perhaps are a subsidiary of one of the major brands. I can buy a 255/22.5 tire for my step deck that is imported or is a no name and pay less than $200. Or I can buy a Bridgestone for about $330 on national account. If you have to buy it without a national discount it will cost over $400. I checked on a Bridgestone for one of my trucks and was quoted a price of $599 from Petro. I can buy a Double Coin for less than $300. I will get as good wear from the Double Coin as I will with Bridgestone and spend half the amount. If I have a problem with the Double Coin, I know that they will stand behind their tires. Bridgestone may or may not.

5. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Are you running regional G?

Double Coin tires from what every tire guy tells me, are made for regional use....not long haul.....

6. Broken Spoke

Broken Spoke Medium Load Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Tucson Arizona
    Sounds like some U.S.A. trucking companys!

Bazerk Wizz Bang! Thanks this.
  7. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    You will see improved mileage from just about any tire as it wears and has less tread depth. The less tread, the less squirm and more efficient it is. That is why just about all the trailer tires now have much less tread than the lug/snow type drive tires that are up around a whole inch deep. And to a smaller extent, as the tire wears, it makes more revs per mile. Check your odometer mileage against the mile marker posts, from when the drive tires are new, and when they are down around the minimum just before you replace them. The difference may be a few per cent.

8. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    I've never had a tire warranty issue other than some rag tires in the 70's that were not good.
    My Firestone 590's are great wearing tires on my steers and I get them for aroud $350 each.
    The Generals on my drives are wearing great and the set of 8 cost me $3200 last January.

A guy that's leased to us is running all Double Coins...He's happy with them but they were not that much cheaper than the tires I run and he has had a couple of warranty issues with them, Something about the tires not being "true". They fixed the problem and replaced the tires but it took time and was a bit too much hassle for me to want to deal with just to save a couple of bucks.

Petro?

I only buy tires from a real tire shop!
    A truckstop will generally hose you every time.

Again...The tires are gonna cost you around the same I don't consider $299 for a Double Coin or any other "cheap" tire worththe money when I can buy much better tires for arond $350 or so a tire.

I got 4 Roadmaster tires for my last axle on my trailer for around $200 each and haven't had real bad luck with them but I'm not very impressed with them either.
    I won't buy them again even at $200 each because they are not wearing nearly as well as my Generals on the front axle of the trailer and in the long run I'll get more for my money with the Generals than with the chinese tires.

9. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    OK , this is fair enough and I appreciate your stance.

What if the Chinese could supply you with diesel substantially cheaper , what would you do then?

10. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

They are made like the Michelin's. I have run the Double Coin's all over the country, but I am running more regionally right now. I have never heard anything about them only being good for running regionally. It was a problem getting them on the road, but Love's is now carrying them, which makes it much easier to get a new tire if you ever have a problem.

11. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I will buy whichever tire that I can get the best buy. If I have a problem with a tire and the dealer won't warranty it then I rarely buy another of that brand, or at least from that dealer unless I can see that it was not a defective tire. I would not expect a manufacturer to warranty a tire where I ran over something and blew the tire. No tire will last that long on a spread axle. So far the Double Coins are giving me good wear on the spread. Coopers have also done somewhat well.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.