o/p thinking leasing w/ schneider

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by ajcm, Aug 4, 2008.

1. ajcm

ajcm Bobtail Member

Aug 4, 2008
    slc ut
    i,ve been out of trucking for 10 yrs i,ve been a mechanic my body is tired iam thinking of buing a 2001 tractor w/350000 mi leasing to schneider w/ 20000k financed can i make it in this economy?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    Where are you finding a 01 with only 350,000 miles for $20,000?
    That tractor seems suspect.

If you've been out of trucking that long make sure they'll take you as a lease op without a refresher course. Most trucking comps now days because of insurance reasons won't take a guy after 3 yrs of no active driving.

DO NOT buy that tractor without a signed contract pending on you buying a tractor.

4. badsey

badsey Medium Load Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Green Bay, WI
    if you are only a mechanic with a CDL and have never done OTR I would look into being a company driver first.

If you have done OTR, Leasing thru Schneider and doing the brokerage thing (you pick your own loads) would be the way Togo. Landstar maybe a better deal though --> most of the Schneider broker runs are shorter <500mile from what I heard.

Before you buy that truck get hired on. Schneider also finances.

5. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

Best advice I've heard all day!

6. badsey

badsey Medium Load Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Green Bay, WI
    what type of tractor are you getting and what's the mpg and the true cost of said tractor?

I believe the freight situation is getting worse. I would maybe wait 2 months or try being a company driver until the freight gets better.

If you could get a guaranteed bonifide deal with a great company it would be great. -but you are most likely better off fixing these new trucks and all the old ones (companies aren't upgrading).

Keep you money in the bank since the interest rates are rising.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.